Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HC '07 - The Strut Bar story

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

HC '07 - The Strut Bar story

Post by ovrkll » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:46 pm

As 20Ducks has alluded to, their is a small story behind a certain Strut Bar that was put on at Roadster Homecoming. Guess I will tell it real quick :D

If you have followed the Homecoming thread, you well know that some of the vendors show up to display and sell their wares. I originally bought my Z4M with absolutely no intention of doing any mods to her. She had everything I could ask for,,, power, good looks, handling, and a convertible! Well, after seeing Zee42's install of the wood grain dash, I thought the touch of red in the woodgrain would look good in my car and set about ordering their kit. Received quite a few compliments at HC (except for F-n-I, she still hates it :P ) and will post the web link for the company at the bottom of this post. I have been looking at the armrest from LeatherZ for a while, due to the fact that the way the center console sits lower than the door armrest, my shoulder and neck on the lower side starts to hurt after several hours of driving in a tilted position. LeatherZ was there, and I inquired about their console armrest, and while I was at it, their underseat storage box (for a First Aid kit). They were more than happy to sell me the items and do the install of them right then and there :thumbsup:

Well, after that was done, I decided to see what the other vendors had. I was completely happy with myself at this point, only spending a little over $300 for the day (bought some shirts at the performance center too). Thinking that I was going to make it through HC under the budget I had originally made for myself and toys :lol: Let me step back a moment and outline a previous moment. Fire-n-Ice, and myself, were looking at the Dinan display at the hotel on Thursday night, and I was told at that time, that they did not make anything for the //M yet (about a month from now items will be available). So after finishing up with LeatherZ, I walked next door, and Fletcher BMW was there with the Dinan parts, installing all sorts of goodies on Z3's and a few Z4's. After looking at a beautiful strut bar on a Z3, 20Ducks mentioned that they had just installed a slightly different one on a Z4M.
Cue back to where I thought that NO Z4M parts were available yet, so I had to find the //M that was worked on, which I did (uh, oh, this is going to hurt my planned budget :headbang: )!! I have another interest in strut bars besides the stiffer body, BMW has a known issue on another vehicle with the Strut Tower mushrooming at the top, and the support rings for a strut bar add just enough bracing and suport to prevent this from happening. After a very one-sided conversation with 20Ducks (I really don't remember him saying anything :lol: ), I walked back over to the Dinan vendor and inquired about price and install.
I was originally quoted $450 and that it owuld take about 20 minutes. In for a penny, in for a pound. Anyways, 20 minutes later and only $399 (guess there was a special 8) ) I had a beautiful Strut Bar installed and a big grin on my face.
I was/am dreading what my wife is going to say if she sees the credit card bill from this "vacation" of mine. She does not yet know about the Strut bar, and she doesn't ever look under the hood (probably wouldn't recognize there is something new there anyway). So all is good, but if I suddenly disappear from the Forum and fail to turn up within a week, you know that I have been found out :chophead:

Here is a picture of the Strut Bar installed

The link for the woodgrain dash kits as promised:
http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer ... 272&page=1

Cheers!!
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Re: HC '07 - The Strut Bar story

Post by Aebous » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Very nice, and hey if your wife finds you out.....Can I have your car? :exitright:
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:14 pm

^^ Uh,,, No. :D

20Ducks has took a pic of me with the "Mod Fever" in full effect, while the install was happening. Sure it will show up sooner or later. :sly2:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

enfield

Post by enfield » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:28 pm

and here I thought that the story would be rated "R".

Hide the statement - 'kay?
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:36 pm

enfield wrote:and here I thought that the story would be rated "R".
It was posted like that to avoid confusion with the other HC thread. I don't no why you would think I would post something a little "off color"!! :innocent:

:lol:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Strut bar looks great! A very nice mod. Say, when are you gonna take me for a test-drive? Gotta test it out, right? :idunno:
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Anytime you want!!! More than happy to give you a test ride :evil: :lol:
Actually I thinks another run/GTG is sounding good, will even let you lead again. :P I think I can keep up now that I am more comfortable with the car. :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:50 pm

If your wife insists that you get rid of it, I'll take it. $175 cash :roll:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Tell your wife it's a "Safety Stabilization Device".... :P
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:57 pm

WLH wrote:Tell your wife it's a "Safety Stabilization Device".... :P

She is going to neuter him....better start looking for an alternate moderator..... :paper: :fuelfire:

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 am

20ducks wrote:She is going to neuter him....
I know a great vet :poke:

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:35 am

fire-n-ice wrote:
20ducks wrote:She is going to neuter him....
I know a great vet :poke:
EMT,vet, all the same :poke: You would take care of me, wouldn't you F-n-I? :cry:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:41 am

Absolutely! I promise, you wouldn't feel a thing :evil:

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:02 am

I'll take pics and enter it on the monthly contest thread. :camera:

enfield

Post by enfield » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:07 am

20ducks wrote:I'll take pics and enter it on the monthly contest thread. :camera:
:hijacked:
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.