Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PDC front and rear

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:38 pm

I was editing while you responded, I submitted too quick. Baum indicates restocking and you can confirm that. I purchased this from them earlier in Jan 2023. Be cautious on the Latvia Ebay'ers... they can come through, but it may be a journey.

I'll defer to Dave in the creation of a loom from an E90... or from scratch -- that's beyond my plug and play skill! :o
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:01 pm

My usual go-to lllparts.co.uk list it as no longer available.

So yes using a loom from an E90 (I'm talking used here) will save you some hassle, that's what I did in the video.

The only issue I have with this all is that the original sensors I bought were cheap copies (mentioned in the video that I later replaced with used OEM ones), well I'm still using the copies on the front as I've not got around to replacing my front bumper yet (short version of story, I hit a deer last year) so will use the OEM ones once I do that. Reason being is that the copies flag up random faults, which stops the PDC from working. Since I changed the rear ones over there has been a lot less faults pop up, so hopefully changing the front ones will stop it altogether.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:12 pm

Dave, when you refer to cheap copies.. are you referring to non-BMW OEM or $2 chinese noname? https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/E89_PDC/ There are several more affordable versions at this wellknown vendor in Ohio.
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

nblu

PDC front and rear

Post by nblu » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:48 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:01 pm So yes using a loom from an E90 (I'm talking used here) will save you some hassle, that's what I did in the video.
Thanks Dave. I’ve ordered used oem sensors for £15 each which hopefully will be fine. I was looking at a E88 loom but I’ll look at the E90 next.
Thanks for your help.
Nick
Current - Blue 2009 E89 sDrive 3.0, Sports Seats, Cruise Control and turbine alloys

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:59 am

Christopher72 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:12 pm Dave, when you refer to cheap copies.. are you referring to non-BMW OEM or $2 chinese noname? https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/E89_PDC/ There are several more affordable versions at this wellknown vendor in Ohio.
No I was referring to the cheap Chinese copies from places like Aliexpress.

Looking at that link though.....

How much?? :o
Expensive.jpg
Expensive.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Compared to lllparts.co.uk...
lllparts.jpg
lllparts.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Dave

nblu

PDC front and rear

Post by nblu » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:18 am

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:59 am How much?? :o
That price is crazy. Your videos must be increasing the demand :D

I watched the video again, and I think I understand how the wiring works. I had assumed that the retrofit kit added a second loom which is suggested by the instructions. Lots more planning but this looks straightforward.

Thanks,
Nick
Current - Blue 2009 E89 sDrive 3.0, Sports Seats, Cruise Control and turbine alloys

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:16 am

Time passes and parts get used. Looking at the instructions, this retrofit front bracket set (51117844395) has offset unique alignments. Is this the correct arrangement? With the larger offset on the top (logical) and the outsides pointing diagonally out and down. Or are they oriented in a manner to avoid the washer pumps and should point upward diagonal? (I don't have headlight washer pumps)

BMW makes symmetrical marks on the bumper cover, and symmetrical drawings in the direction... but put this asymmetrical @#$@#$ in the kit... :rtfm: :headbang:
Christopher

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:00 am

When I made the video I fitted mine to my standard (si) bumper, and they are all straight/horizontal. So the sensors, as wern in that diagram, are straight and the fixing positions are straight.
Now since then I've damaged my bumper so have subsequently got a replacement bumper but it's an M-Sport bumper. On examining the fixing positions for this the two outer fixing positions are off straight, as in diagonal. So that would marry up with the two brackets you've pictured. Yes it could be to do with avoiding something on the inside, not sure as I've not seen anything that is that close, it could also be to follow the curvature lines.
So you either position the bracket so that the sensor is in a straight line horizontally or get some other BMW model bracket that is straight (E90?).
Dave

SwissTone

PDC front and rear

Post by SwissTone » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:31 am

Hi Dave

Yet another project I've decided to jump into :rofl:

Like some have mentioned finding the official retro fit kit seems impossible atm, unless I've not looked properly?

If there's no stock anywhere then I guess the other option is the E9x looms you mention, could you enlighten me on which ones would work for both the front and rear and what would need doing to them to make them work in the E89.

fyi I have the sensors and control module unit, plus the front mounting brackets (these seem super expensive for a bit of modded plastic)
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:45 am

SwissTone wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:31 am Hi Dave

Yet another project I've decided to jump into :rofl:

Like some have mentioned finding the official retro fit kit seems impossible atm, unless I've not looked properly?

If there's no stock anywhere then I guess the other option is the E9x looms you mention, could you enlighten me on which ones would work for both the front and rear and what would need doing to them to make them work in the E89.

fyi I have the sensors and control module unit, plus the front mounting brackets (these seem super expensive for a bit of modded plastic)
I list everything in the video, but I used E91 looms and modified them.
Yes the proper bumper brackets are expensive, hence why I used them from an E90 which I managed to find two full sets for really good prices.
Dave

SwissTone

PDC front and rear

Post by SwissTone » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:02 am

Thanks Dave :thumbsup:
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:29 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:00 am So you either position the bracket so that the sensor is in a straight line horizontally or get some other BMW model bracket that is straight (E90?).
There's that! Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I can also now brag about doing a mod you will never approach... Painted marker reflectors. It's nice to get that orange off the side of the bumper cover.
Christopher

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:38 pm

SwissTone wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:31 am If there's no stock anywhere then I guess the other option is the E9x looms you mention, could you enlighten me on which ones would work for both the front and rear and what would need doing to them to make them work in the E89.
If there's any consolation, Swiss, the official retrofit wire looms require connector pin assembly, which is likely as intimidating as reusing another model (e91). It's probably left unfinished on the end to make traversing the grommets in the front and back easier than having the big blocky connector already terminating the wire and having to be removed to thread through.
Christopher

SwissTone

PDC front and rear

Post by SwissTone » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:59 pm

Have you considered working as a therapist? :D

This is a very reassuring “check in” reminder that it’s still a bit more difficult than I have tried to convince myself, and I’m not saying your trying to put me off, I like a challenge, but I also know how frustrated I get if it’s not as easy as I led myself to believe it was.

Anyway back to your point, thanks for the heads up this will help :thumbsup: :)
E89 20i ish M Sport

Cheeky Charlie

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:33 pm

This car work is therapeutic! Unless you need it to drive immediately because you're stuck at home until it's reassembled.
Bigger toys... and much more satisfying than building RC models. I recommend it thoroughly with a decent Pilsner Urquell and some solid Nashville country music.

Christopher