Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery replacement, BMW or?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:58 am

No thanks! :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:08 pm

Well low battery warning hasn't reappeared so all seems good at the moment fingers crossed, all seemed a bit odd. Might just be a coincidence but I've always had a P3 dash gauge plugged into the ODBC port which powers off when the car goes to sleep. I've kept it unplugged the past few days and just wandering if somehow it's been drawing power. I can't see how that's possible once the car shuts down.

Cars booked in on 17th July for its MOT and brake fluid so will see how it goes until then.

Thanks for the replies.

Tim.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:46 pm

AFAIK OBD port never ever powers off :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:18 pm

I put an old MR2 battery in the 35i 4 months ago and no issues....starts on the button after 2 weeks regularly of no use... :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:22 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:46 pm AFAIK OBD port never ever powers off :thumbsup:
Thanks for that, strange as when I switch the engine off the Gauge display powers off, I think it powers off when things like ancillaries/lighter socket/USB/dashcam etc also power off, I didn't realise the ODB port still remains live. I might test it and leave the gauge plugged in again and see if the battery issue reappears. I've had the same gauge plugged in since the car was new in 2016 and never had any issue :?

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:27 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:18 pm I put an old MR2 battery in the 35i 4 months ago and no issues....starts on the button after 2 weeks regularly of no use... :driving:
Does the E89 not need codeing for a new battery John? not sure what happens if you put an old battery in. I understand if its a new battery you need tell the car its a new battery so it regulates how its charged otherwise it will think it still has the old battery and increase the charge potentially coooking the new battery shortening its life.

With my old Z3 new battery went in and away you went, no coding nonsense :lol:

Tim.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:09 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:27 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:18 pm I put an old MR2 battery in the 35i 4 months ago and no issues....starts on the button after 2 weeks regularly of no use... :driving:
Does the E89 not need codeing for a new battery John? not sure what happens if you put an old battery in. I understand if its a new battery you need tell the car its a new battery so it regulates how its charged otherwise it will think it still has the old battery and increase the charge potentially coooking the new battery shortening its life.

Tim.
I don't know tbh Tim....battery failed on the 35i after lack of use, all I had to hand was the MR2 one so I put that in to get it going and not bothered doing anything else since as it works fine.... :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:12 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:22 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:46 pm AFAIK OBD port never ever powers off :thumbsup:
Thanks for that, strange as when I switch the engine off the Gauge display powers off, I think it powers off when things like ancillaries/lighter socket/USB/dashcam etc also power off, I didn't realise the ODB port still remains live. I might test it and leave the gauge plugged in again and see if the battery issue reappears. I've had the same gauge plugged in since the car was new in 2016 and never had any issue :?

Tim.
Various circuits go to sleep..so peoples associate switching ignition on to OBD on..not so..

It maybe that not related or maybe related some circuits are not going to sleep when they should..I’ve got a faulty comfort access circuit that’s tending live even with car locked..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:16 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:27 pm

Tim.
Primary reading for registration and coding..two separate issues is on the one hand far to let ancillary circuits like audio before switching them off to ensure battery start under the worse circumstances and then how hard and to what level to charge the battery especially under regenerative braking..

Of course it will work without coding / registration but you are unlikely to see the 10 year battery lives that the OE battery often shows..when it’s done properly…

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:24 pm

These cars are so sensitive to voltage changes.
Get the right spec battery and just make sure it’s coded properly. I have a Carly dongle that can do it apparently, but I have never done it myself. Can’t be that difficult!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:40 am

B21 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:12 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:22 pm

Tim.
Various circuits go to sleep..so peoples associate switching ignition on to OBD on..not so..

It maybe that not related or maybe related some circuits are not going to sleep when they should..I’ve got a faulty comfort access circuit that’s tending live even with car locked..
Thanks for that, yes I was thinking possibly a faulty module somewhere not shutting down and possibly drawing on the battery but who knows really without looking at any fault codes. I do have comfort access but appears to be working OK. I understand one possible giveaway it's faulty is a warm door handle once the car is locked but unsure if really a give away there is an issue.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:41 pm

The battery problem has been solved on my 335 Tim :thumbsup:

The Techie came out from the BMW breakdown service and plugged his Laptop into the car - It showed that each of the stepper motors on the heating and vent system, there are seven motors, each had 61 faults, and some other bit od witchcraft had 62 faults.
He unplugged the main fan and booked me in at the local dealer an arranged a hire car.
He showed me a "PUMA" BMW speak for documented faults and fixes, which showed chaffed wires. This was the fault and it required partial dashboard and loom removal, then re insulating an re routing.

Apparently four to six hours work - Ive got the warranty plan so only my £250 excess to pay.

They loaned me via Enterprise a well specced 320 D so this years policy has paid dividends. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:54 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:41 pm The battery problem has been solved on my 335 Tim :thumbsup:

The Techie came out from the BMW breakdown service and plugged his Laptop into the car - It showed that each of the stepper motors on the heating and vent system, there are seven motors, each had 61 faults, and some other bit od witchcraft had 62 faults.
He unplugged the main fan and booked me in at the local dealer an arranged a hire car.
He showed me a "PUMA" BMW speak for documented faults and fixes, which showed chaffed wires. This was the fault and it required partial dashboard and loom removal, then re insulating an re routing.

Apparently four to six hours work - Ive got the warranty plan so only my £250 excess to pay.

They loaned me via Enterprise a well specced 320 D so this years policy has paid dividends. :thumbsup:
That's good news Ron, glad you've got to the bottom of the problem, its times like these when you think the extended warranty might just be worth it :D

Wiring seems to be a problem with BMWs over the years, the wiring loom on my Z3 failed where it exited the car into the bootlid and years of opening and closing the boot would fracture the loom. It was known issue and also affected the 3 Series and BMW brought out a repair loom. Think I had the last available loom off BMW when mine failed :) Alternative fix was to use scotchlocks and patch the broken wires back together.

Not had any further battery issues on the 140i, the car had been in storage for quite a long time so probably didn't like it and threw a paddy :)

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:01 pm

£250 excess sounds painful ronk. :o

Makes me glad my BMWs are both teenagers now!

A new battery for my MC was £104.97 delivered from Tayna in April 21, bolted in and connected in minutes with no coding malarkey required.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:31 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:01 pm £250 excess sounds painful ronk. :o

Makes me glad my BMWs are both teenagers now!

A new battery for my MC was £104.97 delivered from Tayna in April 21, bolted in and connected in minutes with no coding malarkey required.
£422 with £250 excess or £770 with £0 excess so I gambled! This year I lost

I hear what you say about the Battery fitting - I think they call it “progress” :rofl: