Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTAB) Replacement

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:10 pm

jetrep wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:03 pm
smorris_12 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 am The pretensioning bit is easy: only properly tighten the bolts when the car is sat squarely on its wheels rather than when they're dangling with the car on a trolley jack.
Easier said than done considering you cannot access the bolt for this bushing once the bracket is in position and the tire is on the ground
I said sat squarely. I didn't say on the ground...

Actually, that advice probably serves a whole load of other bushes far better than the RTABs. I think, when I did my E46, sometime in the fifteenth century, I must have marked off how bracket and arm sat in relation to each other and duplicated the angle when tightening up the new ones.

As I say, it was a while ago. Empires have risen and fallen since
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

jetrep

Post by jetrep » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:57 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:10 pm
jetrep wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:03 pm
smorris_12 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 am The pretensioning bit is easy: only properly tighten the bolts when the car is sat squarely on its wheels rather than when they're dangling with the car on a trolley jack.
Easier said than done considering you cannot access the bolt for this bushing once the bracket is in position and the tire is on the ground
I said sat squarely. I didn't say on the ground...

Actually, that advice probably serves a whole load of other bushes far better than the RTABs. I think, when I did my E46, sometime in the fifteenth century, I must have marked off how bracket and arm sat in relation to each other and duplicated the angle when tightening up the new ones.

As I say, it was a while ago. Empires have risen and fallen since
I did something similar. If I recall correctly the manual specifies using a tool of some sort to establish the correct angle. I did my best to duplicate it. It wasn't my favorite part of the job.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:50 am

Chengy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:42 pm Also, shout out to plenty for giving me lots of help/advice during the process and selling me the RTAB tool.

If anyone is interested in buying the RTAB removal tool from me please let me know.

Cheers
Great write up

What were the symptoms or did you just inspect and see deterioration?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:37 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:50 am
Chengy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:42 pm Also, shout out to plenty for giving me lots of help/advice during the process and selling me the RTAB tool.

If anyone is interested in buying the RTAB removal tool from me please let me know.

Cheers
Great write up

What were the symptoms or did you just inspect and see deterioration?
Thanks!

I had an inspection done by a BMW independent and they reported the bushings needed replacing.

Think the back feels tighter now, although that might just be psychological - classed as preventative work I think in my case.