Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How many here have tracked or will track their Z4's?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:46 am

I do as many as possible, mainly at Silverstone and Hullavington. For anyone in the UK who's worried about damaging their car Hullavington airstrip is the place to go. There ae massive runoff areas and no crash barriers to worry about!

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:47 pm

20: you should've done a poll, that would be interesting to see. There are more of y'all then I thought. I've never tracked my Z, it's mostly for very occasional pleasure driving. I guess training and job sort of takes the desire for tracking away. Plus, it's only a 2.5i. I prefer windy, hilly roads to track, in-service keeps me trained on the flat.
One of my favorite shows in the world though is PINKS on the Speed Channel. But of course, those are muscle cars, which I've always loved. I'd like to do that one day. Who knows, maybe my brother will let me take his Nova for a shot on the track :driving:
Also, and I have no real proof of this, it's just a hunch, but if you ever decided to sell your vehicle and the potential buyer finds out it's been tracked, that may hurt the deal. I know I would never buy a tracked or heavily modified car.

zednik

Post by zednik » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Not me, not now. I had plenty of autocross, track time, and a couple of seasons road racing a Ducati motorbike when I was young and obsessed. I enjoy a spirited run on a good country road and a nice offramp now and then. :driving:
AKA......Lord Febreeze

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:12 pm

I'd like to take mine on the track a time or two. I probably won't push the car hard, especially at first, but i'll have fun fo shure.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Curtis wrote:I do as many as possible, mainly at Silverstone and Hullavington. For anyone in the UK who's worried about damaging their car Hullavington airstrip is the place to go. There ae massive runoff areas and no crash barriers to worry about!
Airfields are definately a good place to learn and play, with all the runoff they provide. I did a good half-dozen airfield days when I first got a RWD drive car - mostly over the winter. Spent most of the day just throwing the car into corners and seeing what happened, trying to catch the slides etc...

Silverstone is good - but I find it a bit too wide and big a circuit for a road car. Motorbike circuits like Cadwell, Oulton and Donington are great fun though (and a bit cheaper than Silverstone!).

Giles

Post by Giles » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:17 pm

First time with the Coupe a few weeks ago at the Ring.

It's the only way to really discover what you have under your right foot and understand the real dynamics of your car, as opposed to reading reams of tosh which is plastered over the Intermong day after day :wink:

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:09 am

Does the Drag Strip count? Then I am guilty :)

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:35 am

sixspeed wrote:
Curtis wrote:I do as many as possible, mainly at Silverstone and Hullavington. For anyone in the UK who's worried about damaging their car Hullavington airstrip is the place to go. There ae massive runoff areas and no crash barriers to worry about!
Airfields are definately a good place to learn and play, with all the runoff they provide. I did a good half-dozen airfield days when I first got a RWD drive car - mostly over the winter. Spent most of the day just throwing the car into corners and seeing what happened, trying to catch the slides etc...

Silverstone is good - but I find it a bit too wide and big a circuit for a road car. Motorbike circuits like Cadwell, Oulton and Donington are great fun though (and a bit cheaper than Silverstone!).
I hear what your saying about Silverstone but no matter how wide the track may be, there's only one thin racing line!

mmakay

Post by mmakay » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:30 am

20ducks wrote:
mmakay wrote:Me? Never! :evil:
I was totally "AS ST" Sunday and you weren't! :evil: :evil:
You'll note that I totally kicked your "ASST"..... :rofl:
-Mickey

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:55 am

mmakay wrote:
20ducks wrote:
mmakay wrote:Me? Never! :evil:
"Totally"? Not quite there young feller.

tehdarkstar

Post by tehdarkstar » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:22 pm

I'm tracking mine tomorrow! Bedford Autodrome GT Circuit: 4.1 miles to contend. :)
Z4M Coupe! :sweetheart:

mmakay

Post by mmakay » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:10 pm

20ducks wrote:
mmakay wrote:
20ducks wrote:
"Totally"? Not quite there young feller.
2 seconds is a lot, old feller. You going to Woodlands?
-Mickey

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:04 pm

You aren't AS. :nahnah:

RCNet

Post by RCNet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:13 am

AlanL wrote:
RCNet wrote:I'm thinking about it....

Nothing serious, just a couple of HPDE events a year with the local BMW club. We'll see how it goes next spring.

I'm still wondering if I can fit all 6'3" of me in the car with a helmet on.
Slouch down :D

Seriously when you are in your car sans helmet how many fingers can you squeeze between the top of your head and the roof?

Our first event is usually sometime in March, but we won't see the schedule until PIR publishes the calendar in January. Should be interesting this next year with new pavement.

I've been away on business, thus needing to catch-up on all my Z4 reading.

When seated fully upright as for typical daily driving, I have 1 maybe 2 fingers between my head and the headliner. With a little creative slouching, I can get 3 fingers worth of space without loosing any comfort. I figured no matter what I do, my head and helmet will be contacting the headliner in some fashion. I've never had a helmet on my head, so I don't have a feel for how much of a distraction/safety issue that will be.
2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe
2009 Deep Sea Blue 535i xDrive Sports Wagon

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:43 am

Hmm - sounds like you will be bumping your head a little but that's not the end of the world. I had a 2001 Audi S4 with a sunroof that left me in a similar state even though I am only 5'8".

The top of your helmet will be between 2 and 3 fingers worth over your bare head but it is a padded lining on the headliner and the cloth covering will allow the smooth surface of the helmet to move freely even when contact does occur.

I took a SCCA competition class about 5 years ago where we used some race prepped ACR Dodge Neons with a roll bar hoop that was in contact with my helmet full time whenever I was behind the wheel. I honestly never even noticed it once I was out on the track in spite of the fact that it was a pretty hard surface.

I would venture a guess that you really won't notice the headliner contact with your helmet much at all once you head out on the track.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s