Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help ! ! ! Need help planning a 4 week European Road Trip

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Lance

Re: Help ! ! ! Need help planning a 4 week European Road Tr

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Double checked on the RAC site too, neither are mandatory in France, just recommended.

Have a great time.

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 am

Sitting on the eurotunnel waiting to leave. Proper excited but also a little nervous, never done anything like this before. First stop is the Cement House Cemetery just outside Ypres, going to see the grave of my wifes great great uncle, killed at 17. No one has ever been to visit the grave, so she is quite excited but sad about that. Day in Ypres then heading for overnight stay in Leuven. Thurs and Friday nights booked in Cologne, then it's a freefile all for hotels.

Ha ha. Trains delayed coz doors won't shut. Good start.

roofless

Post by roofless » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:26 am

Have a great trip :thumbsup: :driving:
Look forward to seeing some pics when you get back and a travelogue :thumbsup:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 am

Pilly wrote:Sitting on the eurotunnel waiting to leave
wow, how to piff everybody off who is at work lol

have a great trip, I am counting down, 5 weeks to go

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Done Ypres, was quite sad really to see all the graves, which they told us 75% where under 20 when killed, crazy. Good to see that even though it nearly 100yrs ago that they are still looked after better than most cemeterys in England.

Stopped off in leuven for the night (did this in 2000 watching England at Euros), seemed a little different with the wife and not 15 mates !!!!!!

Drove across country to Masterich then hit the Autobahn to Cologne, that was fun. Only have a 4 pot but still managed to stoke her up to 120, she was flying. Not as fast as the Merc Estate that appeared in my rear view from nowhere though.

Have done yesterday and today in Cologne, hitting the road down the rhine tomorrow.

All have fun at work xx

roofless

Post by roofless » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Pilly wrote:
All have fun at work xx
I was enjoying the read and wishing you a good holiday till that bit :P
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 pm

If you have a TomTom, you can download the TopGear greatest driving routes of Europe. Stick to the A roads, they're pretty quick though do go through lots of towns, so don't bother booking any hotels, just risk it & see where you end up as Europe has so much to offer...

If you're still there at the end of August, look out for me as catching up with some friends near Limoges.

Happy days fella & safe driving
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Need some help again from you tour veterans!?!?

Were in Berteschgaden and leaving in the morning. Was heading to Innsbruck then down to the lakes in Italy. Have a large problem now though. Weather in alps region for next week is going to be shite!!!!!!

Has anyone got any suggestions for somewhere on the west coast of Italy that's gonna be warm and a little cheaper :0)

Cheers for my help.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Forget Italy, go to Slovenia instead. Lake Bled is one place everyone has got to see, surrounded by huge mountains, small island in the middle with a church on it, overlooked by a grand castle.

Roads are very good, local beer is even better & the capital of Ljubljana is an absolute delight in the centre. One of my favories is SOKOL, traditional food, fabulous local beer & a real taste for the history of the place.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... -BR-1.html

If you have any problems in the country, will put you in contact with a Macedonian called Lesar who knows just about everyone... though be prepared to part with some EUR's

Happy :driving:

J
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:30 pm

I'd second Slovenia, through the Soca Valley to Lake Bled, stunning roads and scenery. Lake bled very scenic but a bit tourist tacky, but worth a visit nonetheless.

What did you think of Berchesgarten? Last bit on the bus scary enough?

You could head S west toward the French riviera and the route napoleon from Grasse.

Heading off myself tomorrow, to the massif centrale and & Millau, but by motorbike.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Or, head SW towards the Pyrenees? Loads to see and do and some epic roads.

Keep us posted and will help where possible.

White water rafting near Andorra and one of the best roads anywhere, must sound inviting?

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Cheers for the feedback chaps. In the end decided to headwind to Garda and see how we got on. Arrived in Torbole, cracking place. Had 2 nights here but weather was turning at that end of the lake so drove down 40km to Bordilio just south if Garda. Weather been scorching today and will be for another day, so staying another might now.

Gonna head down to italian riviera on weds and make our way up to south of France. Then heading across pyrennes and up west coast of France.

On a dissapointing note. Chatted to some german bikers in Berteschgaden before we left and the Stelvio pass was shut for a few days due to work on the road and a bad accident so had to give that miss. Did take their word for it though.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 am

hope the pass is open when i am going - less than 3 weeks now

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I am jealous wish I could do my trip all over again, oh well I may do the Highlands again next month that should do the trick :wink:
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Ended up in Venice today. Roasting this morning and ended up hammering it down. Soaked from head to foot!!!!