Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DCT gearbox maps

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:39 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:38 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:44 pm
matsmith749 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:46 pm Without buying the maps, what will you flash?
So what you are saying is you have to buy the license which then allows you to load the pre designed maps and then alter and customise those maps ?
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the license allowed you to alter the standard settings creating your own map in affect 🤔
You can do many things without buying a map pack..but do you know what you are doing?

With some experience and a map pack it’s easier then to go off piste…

Quite a few people have got themselves in a pickle when DIY

Some things like increased clutch pressures AFAIK are only available with a custom tune or map pack..

Personally if I couldn’t afford / didn’t want to spend the money on the map pack I’d just stick with stock settings..
Well cheers for clearing that up.

xHP Flash combo (Flash License + Map Pack) it is then :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:40 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:39 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:38 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:44 pm So what you are saying is you have to buy the license which then allows you to load the pre designed maps and then alter and customise those maps ?
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the license allowed you to alter the standard settings creating your own map in affect 🤔
You can do many things without buying a map pack..but do you know what you are doing?

Some things like increased clutch pressures AFAIK are only available with a custom tune or map pack..

Personally if I couldn’t afford / didn’t want to spend the money on the map pack I’d just stick with stock settings..

xHP Flash combo (Flash License + Map Pack) £376.84 it is then :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

DCT gearbox maps

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:51 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:40 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:39 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:38 pm You can do many things without buying a map pack..but do you know what you are doing?

I’ll be surprised if you don’t find it a positive experience/ improvement :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:13 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:51 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:39 pm Well cheers for clearing that up.

I’ll be surprised if you don’t find it a positive experience/ improvement :thumbsup:
Just another quick question B21, I have generic wifi obd adapter already so would that be ok or do you have one of their own make ones ?
2009 35i DCT silver

B21
Lifer
Lifer

DCT gearbox maps

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:41 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:13 pm
Just another quick question B21, I have generic wifi obd adapter already so would that be ok or do you have one of their own make ones ?
You need a ‘decent’ one..xHP is better than some products in terms of tolerance but you don’t really want a comms f**k up mid programming..

I use either a mhd wireless version or a k/d-can cable with an otp adapter to my android unit..

You need to check that the wireless OBD connector is supported on e class Zeds..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:19 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:41 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:13 pm

You need a ‘decent’ one..xHP is better than some products in terms of tolerance but you don’t really want a comms f**k up mid programming..

I use either a mhd wireless version or a k/d-can cable with an otp adapter to my android unit..

You need to check that the wireless OBD connector is supported on e class Zeds..
I can't remember which one I have only that it is a wifi one, I used it for my torque display and car parameters app on my cars Android display

Found it on my past orders. I'm guessing it's crap lol
Screenshot_20231119-203108_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20231119-203108_Amazon Shopping.jpg (70.49 KiB) Viewed 258 times
2009 35i DCT silver

B21
Lifer
Lifer

DCT gearbox maps

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:41 pm

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... O4QAvD_BwE

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... sh-adapter

I can let you have one of my usedvmhd ones for £35 plus p+p

Or you can see how you get on and take it from there..

The OBD that do power /torque don’t have to work bi directionally so….

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:16 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:41 pm https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... O4QAvD_BwE

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... sh-adapter

I can let you have one of my usedvmhd ones for £35 plus p+p

Or you can see how you get on and take it from there..

The OBD that do power /torque don’t have to work bi directionally so….
Cheers for all that info B21 much appreciated.
All I need to do now is keep an eye out for those Black Friday deals or after Xmas offers :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver

R.E92

DCT gearbox maps

Post by R.E92 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:59 pm

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but £400 for xHP is robbery given the lack of development and the state of their maps.

It was worth it while there were no alternatives but given the availability of the GTS software on the Z4 it no longer makes any sense. The only downside with the GTS software is that you can't just flash it with an app, you have to get a guy on some forums to make you some files to flash using WinKFP. The bonus is that it only costs £100.

If I were to rate the various different tunes available for the DCT I'd put the stock one at 6/10, the xHP at 7/10 and the GTS at 9/10.

The GTS tune makes the BMW DCT on par with the Porsche PDK. You just get the fast seamless shifts at all power levels, no jerkiness. The big issue I've always had with xHP is that they make the shifts jerky almost on purpose as a gimmick, they aren't really any faster, just feel more aggressive.

1536Z4

DCT gearbox maps

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:19 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:59 pm The big issue I've always had with xHP is that they make the shifts jerky almost on purpose as a gimmick, they aren't really any faster, just feel more aggressive.
Just to put my personal view on xHP I haven`t found the shifts jerky at all with my xHP downloads and as for not being really any faster I would definitely disagree . I would agree however that £400 does seem alot if you can get better with GTS for £100 but I am still very happy with xHP . Do you get any back up / support with GTS ?
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

R.E92

DCT gearbox maps

Post by R.E92 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:45 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:19 pm
R.E92 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:59 pm The big issue I've always had with xHP is that they make the shifts jerky almost on purpose as a gimmick, they aren't really any faster, just feel more aggressive.
Just to put my personal view on xHP I haven`t found the shifts jerky at all with my xHP downloads and as for not being really any faster I would definitely disagree . I would agree however that £400 does seem alot if you can get better with GTS for £100 but I am still very happy with xHP . Do you get any back up / support with GTS ?
Equal support, which isn't saying a lot given what xHP provide. If anything, with the GTS tune, you can ask for any customisation. With xHP they want another £400 for custom maps.

1536Z4

DCT gearbox maps

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:11 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:45 pmEqual support
Thats good then :thumbsup: . I see that xHP have a Black Friday sale on if anyone is interested https://www.xautomotive.com/
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

B21
Lifer
Lifer

DCT gearbox maps

Post by B21 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:27 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:59 pm I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but £400 for xHP is robbery given the lack of development and the state of their maps.

It was worth it while there were no alternatives but given the availability of the GTS software on the Z4 it no longer makes any sense. The only downside with the GTS software is that you can't just flash it with an app, you have to get a guy on some forums to make you some files to flash using WinKFP. The bonus is that it only costs £100.

If I were to rate the various different tunes available for the DCT I'd put the stock one at 6/10, the xHP at 7/10 and the GTS at 9/10.

The GTS tune makes the BMW DCT on par with the Porsche PDK. You just get the fast seamless shifts at all power levels, no jerkiness. The big issue I've always had with xHP is that they make the shifts jerky almost on purpose as a gimmick, they aren't really any faster, just feel more aggressive.
I can’t comment on GTS maps..my tuner offered to do them, but as I use cHP and I’m very happy with how they worked with my re-map and subsequent hybrid turbos I’ve just continued..

I’ve heard people complain about xHP jerkiness but my set up has consistently been very good..I’ve been highly impressed how it’s worked for me…the only time I has jerkiness was when I’d lost half the gearbox fluid due to the muppets screwing up fitting the new DCT sump pan.

I’m ashamed to say that for someone who was programming in assembler in 1975 and writing compilers in 77 that I find the app based products preferable to using chunky old programs on my laptop..

Each to their own.. :thumbsup:

Silverstar

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Silverstar » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:37 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:19 pm
Are you using it on your E86? which will be the ZF 6 speed? I am using XHP on my ZF 6 Speed and yes it is quicker but in sport or sport plus mode it can be very jerky. I am not sure how it differs to the programming for the DCT that's being discussed here though. Is the GTS also available for the ZF 6 Speed?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:05 pm

Oh eck, my head has just exploded :rofl:
Having looked into this and taken onboard all comments I too was thinking was it worth the high price tag, not that I haven't got the spare money but more of a is it worth the extra bucks.
My car goes into my Indy garage for two new cats to front pipes gaskets and bolt so will also speak to them again about their DCT custom map, these guys put my stage 1 map on 4 years ago :gmb:

Oh and the black Friday deal takes the flash combo and an obd adapter down to £382 which is still quite rich
2009 35i DCT silver