Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

An F-Type ...?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

An F-Type ...?

Post by Busterboo » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:14 pm

1 The next (British) General Election will be in 2025.
2 Labour will probably win.
3 If they do, their many Eco Warriors will force an 'electric agenda'.
4 To achieve this, their first step will be very large increases in fuel & road taxes.
5 This will be matched with incentives to go electric.
6 Very quickly, cars like the Z4 will be (a) very expensive to drive and (b) have very low market value.
7 So, ... well, actually, I don't know.
Vidi, vici, veni

pvr
Legend
Legend

An F-Type ...?

Post by pvr » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:04 pm

I will wait two years then to change the current Z for an M or Alpina then :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mcbutler

An F-Type ...?

Post by mcbutler » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:48 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:14 pm 1 The next (British) General Election will be in 2025.
4 To achieve this, their first step will be very large increases in fuel & road taxes.
6 Very quickly, cars like the Z4 will be (a) very expensive to drive and (b) have very low market value.
This what it all comes down to in the harsh light of day i'm afraid.
Add to this list the planned increases in ULEZ zones to most large cities in the UK and buying a large petrol dinosaur is a really regressive decision, the V8 had its day a long time ago..
Most people who flip off the EV as a replacement have never even driven one, prices are falling, charge times and ranges increasing.
I drove a Kia EV6 GT about 18 months ago. Its a 'sports SUV' (lord forgive me) but i wanted to drive a well rated high performance EV and BLOODY HELL.
This is a £62k car that in a drag race with an aventador was only beaten by a sniff!!!
https://youtu.be/_8Ks4EdHWck?feature=shared
So then lets talk about the MG cyberster due for release in around a year, possibly the most beautiful car I have ever seen - if you havent seen it google it.
I love my 35i as you all know but petrol cars and 'performance'/'supercar' no longer go together.
And we have engine sound reproduction systems that can be installed - dont judge that till you hear one
The future (for now) is EV - heart breaking i know. :cry:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

An F-Type ...?

Post by Silverstar » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:06 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:48 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:14 pm 1 The next (British) General Election will be in 2025.
This what it all comes down to in the harsh light of day i'm afraid.
Add to this list the planned increases in ULEZ zones to most large cities in the UK and buying a large petrol dinosaur is a really regressive decision, the V8 had its day a long time ago..
Most people who flip off the EV as a replacement have never even driven one, prices are falling, charge times and ranges increasing.
I drove a Kia EV6 GT about 18 months ago. Its a 'sports SUV' (lord forgive me) but i wanted to drive a well rated high performance EV and BLOODY HELL.
This is a £62k car that in a drag race with an aventador was only beaten by a sniff!!!
https://youtu.be/_8Ks4EdHWck?feature=shared
So then lets talk about the MG cyberster due for release in around a year, possibly the most beautiful car I have ever seen - if you havent seen it google it.
I love my 35i as you all know but petrol cars and 'performance'/'supercar' no longer go together.
And we have engine sound reproduction systems that can be installed - dont judge that till you hear one
The future (for now) is EV - heart breaking i know. :cry:
ULEZ is facing a big massive revolt in London and the ending to this story is yet to be told. EVs are being forced down our throats by those that think they know better or have some other hidden agenda. In time people will find they are not much more 'green' than ICE cars and ICE cars aren't going anywhere for very long time yet. Do not forget even if the newly expanded ULEZ zone stays and more pop up throughout the UK the 5.0 V8 Ftype still conforms to those standards so can be used and driven without any hindrence. I've heard a Tesla with the sound reproduction system and it sounded like a V8 from outside but it still doesn't entice me to get one. If anyone does get an EV they should just hope that it doesnt catch fire and take their house down with it!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

buzyg
Legend
Legend

An F-Type ...?

Post by buzyg » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:24 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:04 pm I will wait two years then to change the current Z for an M or Alpina then :lol:
:D :thumbsup: :driving:

Busterboo

An F-Type ...?

Post by Busterboo » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:06 pm

deltasierra wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:12 am The F Type has never been a big seller, for the same money you can buy a 911 so not many choose the Jag, it’s not especially practical either. I did have the pleasure of driving the 570hp AWD FType round the test track a couple of weeks ago, awesome, but I’m not going to spend £100k plus when I can have just as much fun in my E85 for £5k
If wifey wants a Jag I suggest the 3.0 V6 is a good choice
So decide what you want, if it’s a cheap fun car a nice E85 or E89 fits the bill, more to spend a Boxter or a G29 after that with £25k plus a 911 for the sports car or an Aston Martin if you want to be flash
You're missing the point. Soon after the next election, 2025, there'll be no cheap fun cars like a nice E85.
Vidi, vici, veni

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

An F-Type ...?

Post by B21 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:04 pm

Buy the Jasasgggg….570 bhp around the Home Counties..you know it makes sense :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

An F-Type ...?

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:24 pm

It won't happen that quick, even if the lefties get control.

There are millions upon millions of diesel and petrol cars in the Uk; most still perfectly 'useable' for many, many years.
Politicians don't make sweeping changes in a heartbeat; they are too useless and scared of public (and more importantly for them, media) backlash.

Everybody on this forum will be LONG gone before fossil fuel cars are a thing of the past, or even a rarity.
Look at horses; they were superseded as transport over 100 years ago, yet they are still bloody everywhere! :wink:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Busterboo

An F-Type ...?

Post by Busterboo » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:56 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:24 pm
It won't happen that quick, even if the lefties get control.
"It won't happen ..." - Which number above won't happen?

I'll bet you London to a brick that #4, for example, will happen by 2027 and that most of us will be driving our petrol vehicles less because of it. :)
Vidi, vici, veni

deltasierra

An F-Type ...?

Post by deltasierra » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:54 am

We know that the EV change is happening so they will impose more road and car taxes for sure to make up for the fuel tax they are not getting. I’m expecting that to be by road pricing thats where and when you drive that will determine what you pay.
2 seater sports cars have always depreciated fast because they have a limited market and there are hot hatches that’s just as fast and fun to drive, even so the high performance versions depreciate fast and have high insurance. So I’m not pessimistic, the G29 will be below £10k in 10yrs time, even lower for high milers.

Zed Baron

An F-Type ...?

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:59 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:24 pm Look at horses; they were superseded as transport over 100 years ago, yet they are still bloody everywhere! :wink:
Luckily, we have a horse also, but they ain't cheap to run either! I can see the EV market being like the British car market in the 70s, flooded with small Japanese cars when the price of fuel went sky high, except this time they will be Chinese EV's. Yes to No.4, they will make it more and more prohibitive to own a petrol/diesel car.

pvr
Legend
Legend

An F-Type ...?

Post by pvr » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:30 am

Just when my V8 M has gone into the £180 a year tax bracket, cheaper than an EV road tax in 2025 :lol:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

An F-Type ...?

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:36 am

If my Zed road tax hits £500, i will stop paying it, happy to go to prison.
Be kept warm, fed, first in queue hospital, have company, of sorts :o

pvr
Legend
Legend

An F-Type ...?

Post by pvr » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:43 am

flybobbie wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:36 am If my Zed road tax hits £500, i will stop paying it, happy to go to prison.
Be kept warm, fed, first in queue hospital, have company, of sorts :o
remember to SORN your car first :lol:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

An F-Type ...?

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:54 am

Money we fork out, nearly cane off motorbike last night in the dark through lifted tarmac, never mind the pot holes.
Seems only way around here to get them filled is paint big white lines around them.