Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

window tinting

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:14 pm

... unless you are on the motorway and you get whiplashed by your wife's hair :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:05 pm

Yal wrote:and california too, what's your point? :D
Would do it if I could but the fine is stiff not to mention you would fail the annual safety Inspection.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:10 pm

Simple - arrive with the windows down as well as the roof :thumbsup:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Yal

Post by Yal » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:18 pm

WLH wrote:
Yal wrote:and california too, what's your point? :D
Would do it if I could but the fine is stiff not to mention you would fail the annual safety Inspection.
Move to California, still illegal, but I don't think we have more than 1 cop per million people in this state.

Mine's untinted and will stay that way. I just don't see tinting a convertible in such a temperate area as i'm in.

I'd love to see annual safety inspections. Probably cut our local car population by 50%.

Yal

Post by Yal » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:21 pm

sp3ctre wrote:. rood is down the windows should be down too :D
sp3ctre has fixed our roof/hood misunderstanding by naming it a rood! Now all we have to do is establish a common pronuciation. :P

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:44 pm

pvr wrote:Simple - arrive with the windows down as well as the roof :thumbsup:
:rofl: :rofl:

I don't know about the top but power windows must work and are tested...

I work with someone who has a Mitsubishi Eclipse and the 3rd time they were stopped and given a ticket and fined the judge told them the next time there would be jail time. Tint removed. It's tough living in a Nazi state... :cry:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

ell_p

Post by ell_p » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:02 pm

my window tinter says the police stop you put the windows down and they cant say anything about it.

anyway in my area in portsmouth loads of people have illegal tints and dont get stopped. any other pics peoples?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm

Don't forget the current huge clampdown in the UK on tints when deciding how dark to go.

Our local boys in blue are having a field day here in the Midlands testing and prosecuting for failing the meter tests on front and front side windows.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:54 pm

The tint looks good on the red coupe. I imagine it would look good on a green coupe as well. But on a roadster or any other color (esp black) it just looks gangster! IMHO anyway. I guess if you park it in the sun a lot it could keep the heat from the sun out and since on a roadster you would most likely have the windows and top down when driving that might not be so bad as a FUNCTIONAL mod. But for looks - uh ah, no way.
Member ZSCCA

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:10 am

You can always do 50%VLT. It's barely a tint, but you'd get better UV protection alongside the top up.

I had a tough time choosing between 35%VLT and 20%VLT. But I'm glad I ended up choosing 35% VLT. That's the legal limit here in WA state, and people would still be able to see the pimp in the pimp-mobile. 8)
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:31 pm

Yal wrote:
sp3ctre wrote:. rood is down the windows should be down too :D
sp3ctre has fixed our roof/hood misunderstanding by naming it a rood! Now all we have to do is establish a common pronuciation. :P
hehe, I hadn't spotted that... with my typing I guess I should make use of the spell checker! :D
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Ski

Post by Ski » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:I've got 35%VLT on my ride. It's nice to have some tint, but I think too dark is OTT.
Looks good Rickardo.. :thumbsup:
My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 325xi Loaded

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Re:

Post by 20ducks » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:59 pm

sp3ctre wrote:... if the rood is down the windows should be down too :D
A moral requirement in some States. :roll:

azroadie

Re: window tinting

Post by azroadie » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:23 pm

I just had mine tinted last week as I'm moving to Arizona this month. Tinting is required there...unless you want to ruin your interior :tumbleweed: Here's a pic. Keep in mind it's now in direct sunlight so it appears much darker in the shade. The interior also makes a big difference. My interior is black so I didn't need to go that dark. I have 30% on the doors and rear, 50% on the windshield. At first, I was worried about not being able to see, but it's not an issue at all...even at night. I really don't notice it but it looks fantastic.

Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger

Citation 650

Re: window tinting

Post by Citation 650 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:00 pm

mattholecko wrote:I just had mine tinted last week as I'm moving to Arizona this month. Tinting is required there...unless you want to ruin your interior :tumbleweed: Here's a pic. Keep in mind it's now in direct sunlight so it appears much darker in the shade. The interior also makes a big difference. My interior is black so I didn't need to go that dark. I have 30% on the doors and rear, 50% on the windshield. At first, I was worried about not being able to see, but it's not an issue at all...even at night. I really don't notice it but it looks fantastic.

I see Phoenix was 111 F yesterday. :sick2: