Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The new Z4 is here...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Re: The new Z4 is here...

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:50 pm

inTgr8r wrote:
takedown8 wrote:Go red. You know you want to, inTgr8r!
On an M coupe? yeah, I'd consider it.
AW would be right up there as well.
RED??? No way, that's an UGLY colour! :rofl:

I'll let you know if I'm selling mine as I can probably make a move on one of 6 GT-R's sitting idle at dealerships here. :o :o :)
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:20 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:
inTgr8r wrote:

I'll let you know if I'm selling mine as I can probably make a move on one of 6 GT-R's sitting idle at dealerships here. :o :o :)
Enjoy that Cobalt SS (sorry to the Chev guys, Cobalt is actually a better lookin car than anything Datsun has made since the 240Z) Rick :thumbsup: - give your head a shake :headbang: put a SC kit on your Z4MC instead; and perhaps a BBK (like it needs one) - the GT-R looks like CRAP and every punk in town will either own one, or put plastic/stickon mods on a Civic to get it looking like one - get off this Nissan kick Rick; you're really becoming a dissapointment to the community :poke:
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

MrZip

Post by MrZip » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:36 am

As most of you are discovering - The whole point of a Roadster is TOP DOWN - if the "boot" holds no luggage what good is it!! The current Z4 offers great boot space for a roadster - Forget the hardtop. :thumbsdown:
2006 (3.0i) Z4 Roadster (Montego Blue)
2000 (2.3) Z3 roadster (Topaz) Traded 75,000 Miles
1987 325es Coupe (White) Traded 250,000 Miles

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:52 am

Caddyshk wrote:Enjoy that Cobalt SS (sorry to the Chev guys, Cobalt is actually a better lookin car than anything Datsun has made since the 240Z) Rick :thumbsup: - give your head a shake :headbang: put a SC kit on your Z4MC instead; and perhaps a BBK (like it needs one) - the GT-R looks like CRAP and every punk in town will either own one, or put plastic/stickon mods on a Civic to get it looking like one - get off this Nissan kick Rick; you're really becoming a dissapointment to the community :poke:
:rofl: :rofl:

Sorry. :oops: There's still that little part of me that screams Nissan Fanboy. But thanks for giving me a :punish: I think I need that from time to time. :)

A supercharger sounds like a pretty cool idea... :cheers:

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:
inTgr8r wrote:

lol.... Caddy already said it.

... I know 2 former GT-R owners.
Both of them got bored and went back to what they had before.
Well, after a few months of ownership, I decided the GTR wasnt for me. The car is lighting fast and is a great handler. However, there was something missing in the driving experience for me, among other things like tranny issues, which I personally didnt experience. I really missed driving a true manual. The GTR felt more robotic to me....

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:59 am

Hmmm... was it really because of the car or because they were looking for a stick-shift experience? :scratchhead:

I've always wondered about that... Can a similar conclusion be said of the M3/M5 paddle shift cars? Or even an automatic Z4 Coupé?

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:Hmmm... was it really because of the car or because they were looking for a stick-shift experience? :scratchhead:

I've always wondered about that... Can a similar conclusion be said of the M3/M5 paddle shift cars? Or even an automatic Z4 Coupé?
I'm sure that's part of it...
I've heard of several VAG owners with DSG that absolutely loved the tranny when they got it.
After a few months they longed for the MT pedal dance.

azroadie

Post by azroadie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm

MrZip wrote:As most of you are discovering - The whole point of a Roadster is TOP DOWN - if the "boot" holds no luggage what good is it!! The current Z4 offers great boot space for a roadster - Forget the hardtop. :thumbsdown:
Can't agree more!!! I live in AZ an my top's normal position is down. It only goes up when it's parked!!! I bought my Z4 for the boot space. So not sure what I'll do with this one.
Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger

e85sbm

Post by e85sbm » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:37 am

I agree that the trunk space is very large in the current (E85), however, the folding hard top was bound to happen after they did the same to the 3 series.

One major design flaw that I see with the NEW Z4 (E89) is the side repeater. In the photos it does not seem to fit the lines of the car, nor does it look to be very effective since it is highly frosted. Am I the only one who feels this way?

As far as shape of the car and overall look, I am impressed....but I can see some common mods (lower air intake vents on the 35i models to be painted to match body color instead of the factory silver to match the kidney grills)

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm

The more I see of it, the less I'm liking it - the look from the rear is less than inspiring. This is all good, will save me money in the long run :thumbsup:
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

BrossardZ4

Post by BrossardZ4 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm

The current z4 pre 2009 has a large trunk top up or down. I drove with my son to California and back (from Montreal) and had 3 large duffle bags, his, mine, and misc stuff. Great car, great trip, Things change and get better (or not) all the time. Sure I love my car, do I want the new one? No not now, I'm enjoying that my car is paid for and runs and looks new. Every spring I put it on the road and it is a hoot, if feels like getting a new car every year. Our current z4 is unique in it's apperance and will always be a classic car, look at porsche 911, still has a huge resale value even after 30 years, ok not the same, however I think the z4 is a nicer looking car,this is a car that will never be worth 10k, does not have to be more expensive to be nicer. If cars did not get better what would be have to look forward too, thankfully they get better with each new generation, but does not mean you have to dislike the older ones less. It depends what is important to you. I live in a modest 2000 square foot bungalow and have houses that are 6000+ around me, I don't want to live in a big house like that and does not bother me that I can't afford to anyway, I'd rather have my A4 and Z4 and my bungalow then live in a bigger house and have 1 crappy car like a corolla or something. Do you understand what I mean?
I remember the first time I saw the z4 03-08 and was like wow that is a stunning car and it is, nothing looks like it, the new one just blends in with the other cars 3 series and the like and has lost its unique look, not to say in 10 years I won't own one, but not now.

To each his own, and lifestyle and personal preference.

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 am

Caddyshk wrote:The more I see of it, the less I'm liking it - the look from the rear is less than inspiring. This is all good, will save me money in the long run :thumbsup:
Saw it at the auto show in Toronto.
Sorry to say it, but I'm disappointed in the car.
It's painfully obvious that they've aimed it at the SLK.
It's much more of a 2 seater luxo vert than a true sports car IMO.

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:45 am

inTgr8r wrote:It's painfully obvious that they've aimed it at the SLK.
It's much more of a 2 seater luxo vert than a true sports car IMO.

That's exactly what I said a while back. No one agreed with me. I knew I wasn't crazy! :D

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:27 am

I agreed with you totally. I would even go to say that the new Z4 is no longer a Roadster. It's just another luxury cruiser :yawn: I'd rather buy a used 6er for that purpose instead.

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:I agreed with you totally. I would even go to say that the new Z4 is no longer a Roadster. It's just another luxury cruiser :yawn: I'd rather buy a used 6er for that purpose instead.
So when are you selling your coupe for that GT-R :) huh, when Rick when????