Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie - Z4 or SLK or Cayman ?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
imported

Re: Newbie - Z4 or SLK or Cayman ?

Post by imported » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:13 pm

R.E92 wrote:
imported wrote:
Stug wrote: That's mainly down to the E89 sucking arse... :poke:
You're like a guy in a speedboat saying that the luxury cruise liner next to him is too slow.
The only reason I chose an E89 over an E86 is speed. I'd have to stick a supercharger on the M Coupe to get the kind of torque and power figures I need.

It's a luxury cruise liner that passes speedboats :driving:
Is your e89 in your signature white or silver? If it's white you considering getting your alloys painted/powder coated matte black.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 pm

R.E92 wrote:
imported wrote:
Stug wrote: That's mainly down to the E89 sucking arse... :poke:
You're like a guy in a speedboat saying that the luxury cruise liner next to him is too slow.
The only reason I chose an E89 over an E86 is speed. I'd have to stick a supercharger on the M Coupe to get the kind of torque and power figures I need.

I don't understand this - the stock Z4M is faster than any stock E89, both in terms of acceleration and handling. Agreed, getting more power and torque from a turbo charged E89 is easier though.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 am

imported wrote: Is your e89 in your signature white or silver? If it's white you considering getting your alloys painted/powder coated matte black.
It's silver. Black wheels don't look as good on a silver car. On a white car I would be very tempted!
BMWZ4MC wrote: I don't understand this - the stock Z4M is faster than any stock E89, both in terms of acceleration and handling. Agreed, getting more power and torque from a turbo charged E89 is easier though.
The N54 engine is a great platform for tuning. A Stage 1 remap which you can apply yourself for as little as £150 will get you above 400bhp. Combine that with the DCT and you pick up pace very quickly.

I'm happy enough at Stage 1 but there are other E89 owners on more tuning focused forums pushing the cars. With just minor bolt on mods Lambobimmer at Bimmerpost is making 422whp (485bhp~).

If he decides to upgrade the turbo inlets then you could stick another 50hp on to that. Upgrade the turbos themselves and you could be looking at over 800bhp. The DCT box is a lot stronger than people initially thought and seems to holding some serious power.

imported

Post by imported » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:35 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: I don't understand this - the stock Z4M is faster than any stock E89, both in terms of acceleration and handling. Agreed, getting more power and torque from a turbo charged E89 is easier though.
Nobody ever got laid in a Z4M, am I right guys ? :D

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:40 am

BMWZ4MC wrote:
R.E92 wrote:The only reason I chose an E89 over an E86 is speed. I'd have to stick a supercharger on the M Coupe to get the kind of torque and power figures I need.

I don't understand this - the stock Z4M is faster than any stock E89, both in terms of acceleration and handling. Agreed, getting more power and torque from a turbo charged E89 is easier though.
I won't argue about lateral grip but a quick google of real world timings suggest the 35iS has longer legs than the Z4M, especially for in-gear acceleration. :idunno:
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

Stug

Post by Stug » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:06 am

imported wrote:
Nobody ever got laid in a Z4M, am I right guys ? :D
Classy...

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:30 am

I'm not one for taking it easy in my cars but no hesitation in confirming an M could leave a 35iS standing.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:02 am

And my dads bigger than your dad ! :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:23 am

Stark wrote:I'm not one for taking it easy in my cars but no hesitation in confirming an M could leave a 35iS standing.
Really? for instance 100-200km/h
recorded - Z4MC 12.3, 35iS 12.1s
manufacture - Z4MC 12.4s, 35iS 12.5s

Of course most people would rev the 35iS out to 7k rather than changing round the 6.3-6.5krpm mark. At which point the Z4MC should win.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:42 am

Stark wrote:I'm not one for taking it easy in my cars but no hesitation in confirming an M could leave a 35iS standing.
Accurate data on performance is hard to get hold of. But from a quick look at google it seem that as far as the 1/4 mile is concerned the 35is will be ahead. Thanks to the American obsession with drag strips there's plenty of times posted.

The fastest laps data isn't perfect but from the few comparable track times posted the 35is actually comes out faster than the M Roadster. Not bad considering the E89 is so much more comfortable and those times were likely done with the stock gripless run-flat tyres!
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_z4_m_roadster.html
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_z4_sdrive_35is.html

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:06 am

R.E92 wrote:
Accurate data on performance is hard to get hold of. But from a quick look at google it seem that as far as the 1/4 mile is concerned the 35is will be ahead. Thanks to the American obsession with drag strips there's plenty of times posted.

The fastest laps data isn't perfect but from the few comparable track times posted the 35is actually comes out faster than the M Roadster. Not bad considering the E89 is so much more comfortable and those times were likely done with the stock gripless run-flat tyres!
Obviously the ///M wasn't trying (Ever) :rofl:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:56 am

Jasey wrote:
R.E92 wrote:

Obviously the ///M wasn't trying (Ever) :rofl:
Well M owners do have to keep the milage down and make sure they are properly warmed up before being abused
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:27 pm

I have had my 35is remapped and its "around " 400bhp at the moment...

On my BMW app thing on my Iphone i can get under 4.5secs pretty consistantly in the 35.... In my M its was around 4.8secs with map and exhaust..

In the real world i doubt there is much in it,the 35is has more torque,but if there was side to side upto 155mph i doubt there would be a car length in it..

An M definatly wouldnt leave a 35is standing,nor vice versa..

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:58 am

+1 to this thread, there's so many different conversations going on i cant fathom a decent response, but i did slate the E89 against the M Coupe in another thread, in a 'raw sports car' competition that is.

In response to OP, out of the options presented, at that budget, i'd be considering a z4mc, or a 35is (if they are that price or not, i duno). You're picking noisy, loud, brash sportscar that' cost a bomb to run, but reward you every time you drive it.. or a bit more modern cruiser with a softop, and with the jb4 it'l eat the other options alive in a straight line. The cayman is a great drive, but i'm not personally a fan of the looks at that price point.

Also well done for saving a lump of cash and putting a Z4 on your list :)

I think tomscott made a decent post - if the z4mc is what you're after, there's not much competition in it's space. Be warey though - once you get it, you'll be wanting GT3's for your next car.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

techathy

Post by techathy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:59 am

imported wrote:relatively inefficient with fuel
On paper maybe but my 35S gets better fuel economy (1-3mpg) than a friends SLK 350 AMG Sport on motorway & rural driving but marginally worse (0.5mpg) on urban driving.
has limited front visibility (the front shade/mirror flappers are really just for show
I find with a decent driving position the Z4 gives better visibility.