Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door speaker maximum depth?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Door speaker maximum depth?

Post by MrPT » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi,

Have searched but not found a definitive answer to this. Does anybody know what depth 4" speakers the doors will take?

I'd like to fit some Focal 100 CA1's, which are 52mm deep and also have a tweeter that stands slightly proud of the front of the speaker chassis.

Cheers! :)

P.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

NeilP

Re: Door speaker maximum depth?

Post by NeilP » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Not helping your question, but why not just upgrade to a 2 way component set up?

Danderton

Post by Danderton » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm

I know a few others have mounted hertz dxc100.3's in the door which are about 42-45mm deep from memory.

When I had the door card off earlier there looked like quite a bit of room behind but didnt think to measure
Model: Sterling Grey 3.0i Z4 Roadster
Upgrades: M Steering Wheel : ZHP : 224 Alloys : Black Kidneys : Clear Repeaters : Pioneer X580DAB : Stubby

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks. The Hertz are another possibility - they have metal mounting tabs which would be easier to bend into shape.

Neil - 2 way is an option. I suppose I am going for maximum bang for my buck (the focals are on offer at 60 quid) and I don't want to find myself going down the slippery slope of a full refit. I'm pretty fussy about home audio, but in the Zed I'd just like a little more definition in the mid/mid bass and that'll do me for now.

Tapatalking with v4 beta
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel

oli445

Post by oli445 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 am

Let us know how you get on as I won't be far behind you and fancy the Focal's :thumbsup:

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 am

I thought that the max depth was 50mm but there's a fair amount of 'give' in the foam membrane so the extra couple of mm shouldn't be a major issue - if you're just connecting them via the tweeter feed be sure that they're easy to drive, the Hertz Dieci 100.3 speakers have a rated 92db SPL and work well
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:32 am

Fair enough.

Have you heard a the pair of speakers in question? (In the past I've found focal speakers to be a little on the bright side)

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:45 am

NeilP wrote:Fair enough.

Have you heard a the pair of speakers in question? (In the past I've found focal speakers to be a little on the bright side)
I haven't, but it doesn't matter because they don't fit anyway - so bumping this thread for future reference/searchability. Really like what you have done with your system, Neil. Probably best you look away now... :D

I bought some cheapy co-axials for £25 and they complement the existing mediocrity very well.

Door cards off:

Blanking plates, before removal:

New speakers in (I ground off the 3rd collet and sandwiched it under a large washer, to avoid any cutting/drilling of the door):

Tweeter feed hooked up. I didn't see much point in using connectors so just directly soldered on speaker cable with spade connectors at the other end:

Definitely worth £30 and half a day's work (and no more!). :)

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 am

Did you add any sound deadening at the same time?
Alpina Roadster S #320

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:56 am

PerryGunn wrote:Did you add any sound deadening at the same time?
Nah, the facelift doors aren't too bad. Having said that, I was getting my wheels swopped yesterday and there was a Flying Spur in the shop at the same time. Happened to overhear the door being shut quite firmly and it was incredible. Time seemed to pause for an instant. :D

I used the instructions/pics in your previous thread a lot though, so thanks for that. That YouTube video is excellent, isn't it? :)

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Yep the BSW guys are very good with their videos :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320