Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water marks

First port of call for new members
Rusky

Water marks

Post by Rusky » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi all
Any body have any advice on dealing with water marks when I wash my coupe? Yes it's black so it's quite noticeable, well to me it is. Problem occurs because the water starts to dry before I can shimmy it and I think the water must be quite hard.
Cleaning advice would be much appreciated.

TA.
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

the cueball

Re: Water marks

Post by the cueball » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:05 pm

either use a product called ONR which changes the way you clean the car, and use very little water (completely safe too) or run over the water spots with a quick detailer type product to get them away... something like Zaino Z6

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Onr? Will have a look at that thanks.
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Ste

Post by Ste » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Microfiber cloth and dry the water off before it gets a chance to dry is a simple solution.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Ped_78

Post by Ped_78 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Could you use a chamois leather...or is this frowned upon on the forum? :|
Maldives Blue Z4, 2.5L

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Quick detailer works fine :thumbsup:

Or, keep the car damp all over as you clean each bit. Then use a large drying towel (which spreads the water remaining around again) and a smaller micro fibre towel to finish it off. I find that this removes most water marks. When it's hot I also try to wash the car as early or late in the day as possible so the sun is down a bit.

PVR uses some kind of filtration device on his hose that eliminates impurities in the water so that when it dries it leaves no residue, can't remember the name now.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Try demon shine, in a spray...quick spray over, then use a microfibre towel to dry off....
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Atom1

Post by Atom1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 pm

My car is black too and have come across the same problem.

I try to wash my car on an evening when it's cooler and out of direct sunlight. I also dry the car using micro-fibre towels which soak the water off much better and leave a nice streak free finish. Just make sure you wring it after each panel to achieve said results.

Another tip is to avoid using any products with silicone in eg. Some quick detailing or wax sprays. These are a nightmare on black, they smudge, smear and haze like crazy.

Auto Glym Aqua wax and demon shine are OK, but if you do decide to use make sure the car is cool, if the product evaporates too soon it will leave residue.

I use a good quality carnauba wax every 6 weeks or so after a quick clay bar session to remove any stuck on contaminants (tar, sap, iron etc.). The wax also aids with washing and drying. It helps reduce water spots and stops any further contaminants from bonding with the paint too heavily for future washes.

Bit of waffle but hope this can help.
Gone - '63' reg BMW Z4 S Drive 20i M Sport LCi - Alpine White, Coral Red Leather.
Daily drive - '64' reg 320d M Sport, sport auto, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, M Sport + Pack
Weekend Fun - '56' reg BMW Z4 M Coupe, Saphire Black, Red Leather.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 pm

I use rain water as final rinse as this reduces chances of water marks before drying.

Atom1

Post by Atom1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:55 pm

srhutch wrote:I use rain water as final rinse as this reduces chances of water marks before drying.
That sounds intriguing, do you have a water butt? I was considering getting one of these for watering the garden etc but never considered this. You may be on to something!
Gone - '63' reg BMW Z4 S Drive 20i M Sport LCi - Alpine White, Coral Red Leather.
Daily drive - '64' reg 320d M Sport, sport auto, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, M Sport + Pack
Weekend Fun - '56' reg BMW Z4 M Coupe, Saphire Black, Red Leather.

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Thanks all

I do use a wash leather, problem was it was drying too quickly, some very interesting tips and tricks though, i am intrigued with the ONR option, can feel a bit of testing coming my way.. Will let you know the results.

Ta

SideExit

Post by SideExit » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm

On black cars I have always just gone over it with a damp microfibre cloth. Even dried watermarks just fade away.

Speak to any pro and they will tell you to run a mile from a chamois!