Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New member & potential Z4 buyer

First port of call for new members
Reiver

New member & potential Z4 buyer

Post by Reiver » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading from an E36 328 convertible with Bilstein B12/Eibach ProSport suspension (it's not as hardcore as it sounds!).I'm looking to get a 2003/04 Z4 2.5 or 3.0 auto (Roadster) & I have some (hopefully not to dumb) questions.

Being a 'mature' driver :cry: with a good record I find the difference in insurance for a 2.5/3.0 is less than £20. Since fuel consumption is pretty much the same it seems to make sense to just go for the 3.0, especially as I'm wanting an autobox.

However, I know the 3.0 has the sport suspension setup as standard. I've (briefly) driven a 2.5Si on 18" runflats which didn't seem too bad. Is there much difference between sport & non-sport?

I can cope with turning lights & wipers on & off myself & electric seats aren't a necessity either so foregoing these features with a 2.5 isn't an issue. I'm assuming an auto 2.5 will have performance similar to my 328?

The factory pop-up satnav - I've heard it isn't a patch on a Tomtom (which I have) but does it have other uses i.e. the track selection display if porting an ipod through the audio system?

I don't care much for the 108 composite split rims which many cars come with - how much do elipsiods run for a set?

Thanks to the FAQ's on this forum I know that adding cruise isn't an issue & retrofitting paddles is doable too.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New member & potential Z4 buyer

Post by andysat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi and welcome-glwts :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Welcome to the forum, seems you've been doing some research :thumbsup:

Can't answer all your questions, but... For the sake of £20 on the insurance I'd go 3.0. Be nice to trade out of a 3 series into at least a little more oooomph, right ?

Not all 3.0 litres have the sport suspension. Pre-facelift (round fog lights, amber indicators) all did, but the facelift models came as Si SE or Si Sport. The former is on standard suspension, and I think 17 inch wheels as standard. More compliant ride than the Sport. The Si Sport has m sport suspension, seats, steering wheel etc. and if you have driven the 2.5Si Sport on 18 inch runflats then the ride will be the same in the 3.0Si Sport I believe. If it was an Si SE on upgraded rims then the ride will be harder than standard but not quite as hard as the Sport. To be honest if you are used to Eibachs already then the Sport will be fine for you... Though you'll soon want Eibachs again :D

Hope that is not too confusing - good luck :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Reiver

Post by Reiver » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Actually the Eibachs aren't hard at all. The rear shocks were totally shot which is why the car would belly flop over car park speed humps. I'd replaced the broken rear springs (sound familiar?) with some secondhand ones when I got the car but I felt a thorough revamp was necessary. I expected a much harder ride, especially as I'd gone to M3 17" wheels. However, I've been pleasantly surprised. The ride is only slightly firmer with little roll but our wonderful road surfaces don't come crashing through anymore. They feel more supple somehow. If they have a similar effect on a Z4 then I would certainly think about changing to them.

I know changing from run flats is beneficial in ride terms (I see Vredestein Sessanta's are recommended - I have them on the 328 :) )

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Changing runflats is a personal thing, but I reckon the majority on here have done it and not looked back. As for Eibachs, agree - I think they are 'progressive' so are firmer the more you ask of them, but more compliant under normal driving conditions. Stock Z springs are most certainly not progressive :D

I am slightly pleased in a sympathetic way to hear BMW didn't just screw up the Z springs... Though it is based on a 3 series chassis so hardly surprising :roll:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...