Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Skyline drive/ Luray caverns

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
chaweiner

Skyline drive/ Luray caverns

Post by chaweiner » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 am

Caitlin and I took a trip about 4 hours away from where we live in Virginia to a little town in the mountains called Luray. It's a quaint little town with a bunch of hotels, a beautiful view, and some very cool restaurants that make everything by hand fresh everyday. It's uncommon where we live, everything is corporatized.
From the hotel.
We at breakfast at the hawksbill diner. It was owned by a husband and wife and was very well priced and one of the best omelette s I've had!
On our way to the hawksbill diner we came across some farmland in Stanley Va so out came the camera.
Afterwords we drove over to the Luray caverns. Outside they have a maze. The maze is kind of a tourist trap, but neat none the less.
It's was an 18inch deep lake that creates a perfect reflection of the ceiling. They call it dream lake.
The frozen waterfall
The shaggy dog. Estimated the oldest formation at 7 million years.
These were my favorite as a kid. The fried eggs!
And on to skyline drive
Hogback mountain is the peak at almost 3500 ft. 20 mile views were insane.
Just an amazing drive with some NASCAR style embankments to get the blood pumping while going over the Shenandoah mountains on hwy 211 into Luray. It's rare to find a town in the U.S. where everyone is friendly, views are awesome and the food is great.

chaweiner

Re: Skyline drive/ Luray caverns

Post by chaweiner » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:03 am

I took over a hundred photos. This should get you in if you would like to see the rest of the album Maybe not. Can't get the link to work.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 am

Fantastic photos - looks like a brilliant place to go for a drive... I do love caverns, must be my inner child :D

Your Z looks like it could just sit in the back of that SUV !
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 am

Great picture and thanks for posting. Beautiful part of the country... :thumbsup:

I was in that area in October during a Regional ZSCCA event with 27 other Z cars. We stayed in Harrisonburg VA but our driving was almost all over into West Virginia in the Snow Shoe Mountain area. The last day of the event some of the participants headed over to Skyline drive in the same area as your pictures.

Here is a link to some of the pictures from a thread I posted last month...
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43375
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 am

Fantastics pics! Just my idea of a good weekend. :thumbsup:

chaweiner

Post by chaweiner » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 pm

I need to get into that zscca so I can go to some of those events. We love to travel. Skyline is beautiful and we got lucky there was very little traffic. And SUV was def huge haha.

chaweiner

Post by chaweiner » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:03 pm

I honestly wanted to get up there before the leaves peaked but time didnt permit. The day started at 35 degrees and by mid day it was seventy. We rolled with the top down after we ate breakfast till we got to Richmond. The smile on my face was ear to ear.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:46 pm

chaweiner, There are a couple of ZSCCA Chapters in Virginia and for more info ZSCCA has a Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/zscca/
and a Web site...
http://www.zscca.org/
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos