Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Elms Cambridge in Cambourne

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
jonno

Elms Cambridge in Cambourne

Post by jonno » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Figure I don't do this often enough. Just wanted to say that I've been in to Elms BMW in Cambourne three times in the last 6 months (first two times re replacing traction control sensors, and just recently for Inspection II service). Both times, they haven't been the cheapest, but I've been really impressed with the quality of service. I've generally sat and worked on my laptop while they've done the work and they keep coming up with coffee, a sandwich for lunch, etc. Whenever there's something to tell me, someone has come over to fill me in and check I'm happy with the proposed work etc. Every time I've left feeling confident that my car is tip-top, and have felt happy about driving in the "exuberant" way a Zed ought to be driven. We all know what it feels like to have that nagging doubt about something in the car, how it affects your enjoyment of it. Well, for me at least, it's worth paying a bit extra to be given that confidence.

Well done them.

2006 Monaco Blue Z4 3.0si SE Roadster

geepee

Re: Elms Cambridge in Cambourne

Post by geepee » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Nice to know that as they are my 2nd closest dealer.
Thanks.
:thumbsup:

Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:37 pm

It's a 200 mile round trip for me but I may just consider it if they come recommended. Can I ask how much they charged for Inspection 2, and what else had to be done on top of the general service?

jonno

Post by jonno » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Marco wrote:It's a 200 mile round trip for me but I may just consider it if they come recommended. Can I ask how much they charged for Inspection 2, and what else had to be done on top of the general service?
According to my invoice, the basic cost for the Inspection II was £157.50 (not incl VAT). On top of that, they replaced the oil filter, microfilter, air filter, spark plugs and screenwash, and did an oil and brake fluid change. My hand brake also needed adjusting (I had mentioned that to them). Total price including VAT was £578. They also did a body check and washed and vac'd the car!

I consider that not bad for a car that's done 108k miles and with an incomplete service history, so they didn't know for sure what had been done at the last service. However, other people will have other priorities and of course I can't guarantee anyone else's experience with them will be as good as mine!

cj_eds

Post by cj_eds » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 pm

ETA - The following is all posted about when Elms was down by Shelford Road.

I went there to look at Z4's when I was buying mine in 2009. I wanted to look at both a coupé & roadster they had outside. Went in, got sat down by the receptionist. After an eternity someone came over and asked rather abruptly what I was doing there, which led to him going out and opening the cars before walking off. When I went back in I got talking to someone and said I'd wanted the auto (which neither was), so could he check what was on the BMW AUC system. A bit of grumbling and he said he'd take my details and get back to me. After gathering the usual info I said I wanted the 3.0. "oh no, that model never came in a 3.0" apparently. Yes it does, it's the only size you get the coupé with. Once finished that he took my half finished coffee off me, saying "Don't worry I'll deal with that" and marched me to the door. He was an ignorant arrogant prick throughout.

I bought the car in Peterborough where the two guys I dealt with couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful, and I swore I'd never darken the doorstep of Elms in Cambridge.

The MD of the company I worked for in Cambridge had a 5 series. He took it to Elms twice and both times had problems. Can't remember the second issue but the first was they upgraded the perfectly functioning satnav and gave it back to him not working. Seem to remember some issue with the tyres as well. In the end he was so dissatisfied with the service at that particular garage he's started going to the Elms in Bedford to service his replacement F10 5er (which was bought in Bedford).

Out of interest, talking of Gt Shelford/Cambridge has the new M11/Addenbrookes road been opened yet?

jonno

Post by jonno » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes, I also heard some bad stories about the old Elms. I never dealt with them then so can only report that my experiences over the last 6 months or so have been good. Whether that's down to the change of location I don't know - perhaps I've just been lucky :)

The Addenbrooke's access road has been open for a few months now. Made quite a difference to traffic coming into Cambridge from the south at first. Now, you'd never notice of course...