Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Inside door pulls/handles tidy up

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
PetKiller

Inside door pulls/handles tidy up

Post by PetKiller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:24 pm

The door pulls on the inside of the car have a few marks and scratches on them after years of use and i would like to replace them. I can't find anyone online that is selling them. Is this a BMW dealer only part?

And,is replacing them the only way? Could they be 'wrapped'? If I could do something like that I would get the steering wheel spokes done to match. Anyone know anyone? SE London/Kent area if possible.
BMW Z4 3.0 SMG / Buell XB9SX

laser402

Re: Inside door pulls/handles tidy up

Post by laser402 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 am

I would also like to know, myn are abit tatty :(

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 am

Mine were resprayed. I did the prep and gave them to a bodyshop for final coat and laquer for 20 quid.
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Not even a dealer part in some finishes anymore :(
Best try the dealer and if that fails spray them up.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:00 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Not even a dealer part in some finishes anymore :(
Best try the dealer and if that fails spray them up.
Hmmm this is interesting to know. My drivers side one has a broken clip so pops off if you open the door the wrong way so perhaps I should get a replacement sooner rather than later. It generally falls onto the ground when it does pop off, causing chips in the paint :cry:

If the clips were still OK I'd just get it resprayed. Are there paint codes for the interior silver colours?
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

scousefly

Post by scousefly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm

I wanted to replace my drivers door handle but apparently the dealers dont do the colour anymore, I couldhave a bright silver or a matt silver but none of them where the right shade of silver and both did not match the brushed aluminium interior. The matt came the closest but im picky so have not bothered :x
Life is a bitch which occasionally needs her chain yanking to bring her back into line

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:11 am

Can I ask how much they quoted you?
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 am

Mangozac
It is generally the locking tab at the bottom that breaks off. I'd you refit it and add a small spot of adhesive under the lower edge it won't slide and should never fall off again.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks CJ. Yeah that is the problem, but I can tend to be a bit anal about stuff like this and would just prefer a whole new non-broken part :oops:

Like I said though, it's in sore need of a respray too. Maybe I should just get over myself and respray + glue in rather than try to replace it!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 am

Little secret - my passenger side is held on with spot of glue :)
Nothing worse than mrs CJ passing it to me each time she got out.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Fortunately mine is the drivers side - although there is no Mrs Mangozac it would certainly be embarrassing for potential Mrs Mangozacs to hand it to me!

In terms of repaint I guess I'd have to take it down to a paint shop and get them to colour match the metallic. I've got an airbrush so could apply it with that. They have a very matte finish though so for protection I guess I'd have to find a matte clear coat to finish it with.

My drivers door opener is a bit grazed up too - if repainting the handle I would probably best do that as well...

Yo Russ Dude

Post by Yo Russ Dude » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi

I had the same problem with scratches and generally looked tatty.

I wrapped mine with 3M Di-Noc, easy job and can be purchased in many colours and finishes. Did my grills and Blackberry with what was left over.

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments ... vinyl.aspx

Russ
2004 3.0 SE - Titanium Silver, 108's, clear light Kit, stubby, , aero kit rear & skirts, Alpina front lip spoiler, Carbon Kidney grills, OEM Ipod connection, Eibach 30mm lowered pro street springs.

jonnyfive

Post by jonnyfive » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi guys i repainted mine using a can of plastikote pewter Finnish then a clear lacquer over the top , not a complete perfect match but you would have to look very hard to notice the difference.
Before painting
After painting

A little tip your domestic oven set at a very low heat is perfect for backing the paint on but dont tell the misses :D
Live life on the edge or you are taking up to much space!

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 am

Yo Russ Dude wrote:I wrapped mine with 3M Di-Noc, easy job and can be purchased in many colours and finishes. Did my grills and Blackberry with what was left over.
That's good if you're into the CF thing (and have all of the other silver in the interior wrapped too).
jonnyfive wrote:Hi guys i repainted mine using a can of plastikote pewter Finnish then a clear lacquer over the top , not a complete perfect match but you would have to look very hard to notice the difference.
Yeah this is the way to go. Although like I said in a previous post the stock finish on the handles is kind of matte, whereas your resprayed one is quite glossy. I guess there's no clear coat on top of the stock finish, so the question is how long would one expect paint to last without the protective clear coat on top?

chrisba

Post by chrisba » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Mangozac wrote:
Yo Russ Dude wrote:I wrapped mine with 3M Di-Noc, easy job and can be purchased in many colours and finishes. Did my grills and Blackberry with what was left over.
That's good if you're into the CF thing (and have all of the other silver in the interior wrapped too).
jonnyfive wrote:Hi guys i repainted mine using a can of plastikote pewter Finnish then a clear lacquer over the top , not a complete perfect match but you would have to look very hard to notice the difference.
Yeah this is the way to go. Although like I said in a previous post the stock finish on the handles is kind of matte, whereas your resprayed one is quite glossy. I guess there's no clear coat on top of the stock finish, so the question is how long would one expect paint to last without the protective clear coat on top?
You could try using a matte finish silver with a few light coats of clear laquer over the top. Wont be 100% matte but i'd imagine you'll get a pretty close finish to OEM with that method.

*EDIT*

There is Matte Finish Clear Lacquer available. - http://www.smartexpress.co.uk/productca ... goryid=100

3rd one down. :thumbsup:
Add your name to the "Welsh Members" thread here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59289