Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to modify your CDV (Clutch Delay Valve)

Shidevil

How to modify your CDV (Clutch Delay Valve)

Post by Shidevil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Guys print off the CDv instructions in the how to section. I got my mot tester to do it, it took 5 mins for him to get it sorted, any mechanic will know what to do.

He charged me £5 for it lol

Animal

Re: How to modify your CDV (Clutch Delay Valve)

Post by Animal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm

original guvnor wrote:I'm looking for someone in the East Mids or South Yorks area to do my M. Got the modified CDV from Zeckhausen, just trying to find someone I trust to fit it.
Did you get this fitted as i want to do it. :thumbsup:

Also does anyone in the uk sell this part or is it Zeckhausen only?

2007 Z4 MC Ruby Black,Champagne Leather,Sat Nav,Heated Seats,Piano Black Dash,Bluetooth,Stubby,Privacy Film,Intravee & Alpine,CSL's,Cruise,Aero Skirts,Remus,Eibach Pro Kit

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed May 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi... I'm brand new here, got a Z4C just over a week ago.

Generally delighted, and had already done all the little things (stubbie, ZHP, etc) but was feeling quite regretful over the poor gearing changes until I came across the CDV issue on this forum. Read up on it today, and deleted the CDV when I got home from work this evening. Sooooooooo happy.

I would strongly urge any Z4 owner contemplating this modification to get rid of the CDV immediately, it feels that I can now really enjoy the car as nature intended :driving:

Thanks for the great information :)
Z4 Coupé // 203s / zhp / stub / aux / -cdv /

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:26 pm

I am loving this thread,.....

RidgyDidge

Post by RidgyDidge » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:35 am

I know, it has been done to death, but I'm wondering if any Aussie forum members can recommend a capable BMW mechanic in SE Qld that could carry out this mod for me?

I could have a go, but I know from bitter experience I'm better off paying someone that knows what they're doing to do it... :roll:
2006 BMW Z4MC - Australian delivery means it comes from the factory with everything !
Added rego plate, stubby, CF grills, gloss black roof wrap, fuel, and my right foot...

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Changed my CDV valve on Friday and changed my trans gear oil tot Royale Purple......huge diff :) Thanks everyone

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi, sorry to ask another stupid question regarding this but I am a bit mystified at present.

I am suffering from the jumpy, kangaroo type gear changes in 1st and 2nd which is rather annoying, about the only annoying thing with my 3.0i.

So, this CDV thing; some have said just remove it completely and others have said they have a modified one...I would rather just take it out if that works just as well?!

I've spoken to a local mechanic (Jerry at Clayton Cars - Bristol BMW Indy) who was about the only garage I spoke to that knew what I was on about. He said they had done it on M cars and recommended replacing the hose with a braided one and bleeding the clutch system. He said he didn't think my Z4 would have a CDV though which was a bit worrying. And when I mentioned others have got a modified one he said that might be a good idea to do the same. The instructions on page 1 and 2 all seem quite confusing to me, discussions over whether to take this out, leave that bit in, replace the hose, bleed the system, what is the insert, if removed completely connection could be too tight etc etc.

So, what do I need to get him to do in order for:

No more crappy gear changes
Not spending a fortune
Not having a broken car

Thanks in anticapation :oops:

PS - He's also changing my front fog light (Thanks ranski Rich :thumbsup: ) and said for both jobs would be an hour's labour, plus clutch bleed materials cost and potentially £25 for a braided hose...sound fair enough?

ga41

Post by ga41 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Cheapest solution would be to leave it alone and work around it! With practice you'll get the hang of it i'm sure.

If you do want to have the valve in, but not be restricted anymore you can buy one that's already been modified instead of modifying it yourself. If you want to have it look more OEM, for warranty reasons perhaps, then this is the best solution but if you dont then i really do think you should just chuck it away and be done with it.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:51 pm

yes you can drive around it....

but you will still sometimes forget :(

I modified mine and replaced with the help of a friend. The issue about modify/remove normally comes down to whether you have warranty or not
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:51 pm

I don't mind spending the money just don't want to get ripped off! When Shidevil says his mechanic whipped it out and charged him £5 it raises eyebrows. Don't think I can live with it tbh, not when I've seen all the happy comments on here post removal of CDV...

I'm really not fussed about it looking OEM as it is not in warranty so that's no problem.

Is there any difference/pro's con's in taking it out completely or having a modified one?

ga41

Post by ga41 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Looks, mate. :)
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Dean

Post by Dean » Sat May 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Is it really this easy? Don't quite understand how to bleed it :( can anybody help ?

Dean

Post by Dean » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:13 am

Where is it located?

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 am

The CDV is located under the passenger side of the car, Roughly where the door hinge is and about a 1/3 of the way across the car, You cant miss it.
Ideally a 2 man job to bleed it, same way you would your brakes, the Bleed nipple is located just above the CDV, The 3.0L one is PITA but still doable

Dean

Post by Dean » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks alot :)