Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Scottish Road Trip

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
mason storm

Another Scottish Road Trip

Post by mason storm » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Well I have booked off the bank holiday at the end of the month and am hoping to do my 2nd Road Trip through Scottland. It will be about 7 day including a day to get there and one to get back, but i could extend it to 8 days if necessary.

Last year I did a route that "Road trip" Dave suggested and it was amazing. Here it is for refference:

Day 1 - head up the M6 to the Lakes staying in (say) Ambleside.
Day 2 - head over to Sedburgh on the A684 then north on A683, west on A685, B6260 to Appleby, A66 to Penrith. M6/M74 to J15 Moffat, A701 then across to the A70 at Carnwath. A70 to Edinburgh. Go over the bridge if you like then back over the Kincardine Bridge and stay the night in the Holiday Inn, Stirling.
Day 3 - take the A823/822 to Creiff, then A822 to Dunkeld, A923 to Blairgowrie, then A93 to Braemar, then left at Bridge of Gairn, head onto A939 to Grantown on Spay. Continue on A939 to Nairn. Head for Inverness, cross bridge then pick up B9176 at Altness, to Bonar Bridge. Loop back to the A9 at Cashmore, and head north to Wick.
Day 4 - could head for John O Groats (but I can't recommend it), head for Thurso then A836 to Tongue, A838 to Durness, Laxford Bridge, A894 to Ullapool, A 835 to Unapool, continue to Garve on A835, then A832, A890 to Strathcarron, Turn lest and follow signs for Kyle of Lochalsh. Cross over Skye Bridge and head for Portree.
Day 5 - Head back to the car ferry at Armadale - Mallaig. A830 to Ft William, A82 to Crienlarich, A85 to Lochernhead, A84 back to Holiday Inn Stirling.
Day 6 - from Stirling pick up the M9, M8, then head for Peebles. A72 to Innerliethen, then B709 then A708 to Moffat. At Moffat pick up M74 and head home.

I could do the same again and but would obvously like to do it a little different this time any suggestions welcome :)
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

roofless

Re: Another Scottish Road Trip

Post by roofless » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Good luck. I've not yet made it north of the border but seeing many of the pics on the forum that people have taken makes me keen to do it sometime, alas europe calls first. :) :driving: :thumbsup:

It'll be great to see how your trip pans out.
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'