Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quoted £140 + Vat for a new key....Ouch

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Quoted £140 + Vat for a new key....Ouch

Post by AlanJ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm

SDS wrote:Ah, just thought thought; will they not need to see the car at some point? I'm in Essex...
If you get a new key from a BMW dealer you will need to produce photographic identity and the log book for the vehicle registered in your name.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

ZED_NOT_ZEE

Post by ZED_NOT_ZEE » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:14 pm

There IS a cheaper option!

First, some things to understand:

- ebay blank key blade - have it cut by a shop. It will only lock/unlock doors and trunk.
- ebay or most x3/x5/3 series key modules - can be programmed to lock/unlock doors easily, but will NOT start the car.

- the transponder to start the engine requires a key from germany. they have a list of all the transponder codes and the corresponding VIN and EWS modules that it applies to. So only they will be able to program the new key with your existing transponder code that is recorded in your EWS. This data is encrypted, so it can't be read from the EWS one written by most machines (including a GT1).

OR you can remove your EWS module and send it in to an indie shop along with your current key.

They will:

- cut a new key for you (require your existing key to make the copy)
- new key will have a new transponder. it will have a new transponder code (since they can't read your existing code)
- they will put your *new* transponder code on your EWS for the new key
- they will enable this transponder on your EWS

... with this option, if you ever lose a key you can order a new one from them without having to send in your ECU again. It's much cheaper this way, however you will not be able to drive the car for a week or so until the EWS comes back. Price costs around £42 for those of you in the U.K. if you want to have the blade cut locally and don't need the wireless lock/unlock module. (it will start your car though)

If you want a new key will all the bells and whistles. (key cut + lock/unlock + start car), the price is around £91.

Now I had an existing key from a previous BMW 330i. So I already had a lock/unlock module. So I sent that one in to them to be installed in the new key to save the extra money. So I paid just to have the blade cut + transponder programmed.

The guys I used are located in Canada, but I'm sure there are similar shops in the U.K.
http://shop.rpmmotorsport.net/BMW-ORIGINAL-KEYS_c11.htm
Z4 3.0i SMG - Sport/Prem/Nav. Gray on Red (year-round beater)
e46 M3 SMG II - Cold/Heat/Lux. Black on Black (summer beater)
e36 M3 5-Speed - Cold/Lux. Black on Black (winter beater)
Suzuki GS500F - No options. Black/White (city beater)

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Surely it will be done by induction charging. Similar to the toothbrushes that fit on a stand with no wired connection?
What the eck is induction charging?????

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Taz x wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote: Surely it will be done by induction charging. Similar to the toothbrushes that fit on a stand with no wired connection?
What the eck is induction charging?????
Google is your friend
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills