Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof cleaning

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
blowers

Roof cleaning

Post by blowers » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm

I had some ingrained stains in the roof which I have finally managed to remove having invested in the OEM cleaning kit. Howvere I notice there are still some marks-more like creases and some shiny patches . I am just assuming as 8 years old this is just wear and cannot be rectified. Other than that the roof looks good but any thoughts on whether I can do anything to remove these marks or just live with them?
Z$ 3.0 SE- Heated leather seats, CD changer,xenons, Cruise control, PDC & X5

blowers

Re: Roof cleaning

Post by blowers » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:44 pm

From what I have read (other than getting a hard top !) There isn't a way of getting rid of the soft top creases /shiney patches?????????? Or has anyone found a successfull solution?
Z$ 3.0 SE- Heated leather seats, CD changer,xenons, Cruise control, PDC & X5

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:24 am

some people seem to have a bit of short term success from using heat (hot water etc) on the crease marks, however I think they are just the fold lines and they always seem to come back eventually. :headbang:

I have the OEM cleaner, and using it on a hot day seems to fade the marks, but i've given up trying to get rid of them.

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:39 am

You can get black dyes.. its on here somewhere

Banbury

Post by Banbury » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 am

Good point re: Black Dye: I have used the 2-part Renovo ages ago. I worked sloooowly and methodically as was worried about getting splashes on the paint and rubbers etc. The key thing is to have a nice clean and dry roof before you start. And a really decent paint brush - otherwise you risk leaving brush hairs on your roof. I did use their cleaner as well to prep it. Overall was really pleased (but it is time consuming). So Stage 1 = Clean your roof. Stage 2 = Dye the roof. Stage 3 = Proof it.
Be prepared to follow this process every 2 years if you regularly put your roof up/ down wet. I learnt my lesson with the Boxster - wet roof folded = really shiny and marked roof.

ZED_NOT_ZEE

Post by ZED_NOT_ZEE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 pm

I think step 1 should be to vacuum the roof with a bristled attachment first to remove any loose particles.
Z4 3.0i SMG - Sport/Prem/Nav. Gray on Red (year-round beater)
e46 M3 SMG II - Cold/Heat/Lux. Black on Black (summer beater)
e36 M3 5-Speed - Cold/Lux. Black on Black (winter beater)
Suzuki GS500F - No options. Black/White (city beater)