Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speaker upgrade / add an amplifier

Newbers

Speaker upgrade / add an amplifier

Post by Newbers » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I took my 2007 Z4 Coupe to my local car audio shop yesterday for some recommendations as to how to improve the sound quality. I don't want to chuck too much money at it but having come from a 3 series with Harman Kardon the present set up really is not easy to live with. I listen to all sorts of music but also Radio 4. Talking is the worst currently.

It has the Professional Navigation System but only the basic 6 speakers. The guy in the shop said that the order to approach the improvements would be:

1. Add a subwoofer
2. Add an amplifier (he reckoned that the basic amp in the head unit was by far the limiting factor)
3. Upgrade the speakers

I was quite surprised that he said amp first but having previously fitted a new head unit in a Mercedes ML I was staggered by the improvement just using the factory speakers so I'm willing to go along with this.

The recommendation was to go with an amp like this: http://www.audiotec-fischer.com/plugpla ... .html?&L=1 These have a factory programmed eq profile specifically set up for the car/factory speakers. This works a bit like a DSP such as the Cleansweep but has the advantage that you don't have to use a seperate volume control and is much less fiddly. It is quite expensive though (Best price 360 Euros in Germany). They do a matching subwoofer for about 120 Euro. Under £500 would be fine if the results were good.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience of just adding an amp to the factory speakers? Was the EQ programmed in to the BMW head unit still irritating?

2. Anyone know what sort of additional wiring/plug loom I would need? I'm sure there will be loads of aftermarket things available so that I don't need to cut wires. I'm thinking it would be reasonably easy to temporarily rig something up if I can get the right plugs etc.

I've spent way too long Googling this already! Any other thoughts?
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Speaker upgrade / add an amplifier

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Having a roadster and the roof down a lot ICE upgrades not for me. That's not to say I can't get you started...

Have you had a search through here yet? (use the Google search on the site homepage - allows three letter words, unlike the forum search function) There have been a few upgrades. There's one that springs to mind as it was done recently...

'06 Coupe ICE Install *Picture Heavy*
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Newbers

Re: Speaker upgrade / add an amplifier

Post by Newbers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks PawnSacrifice, that's really helpful (and a great write up that you directed me to!)
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll: