Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

standard way to indicate which vehicle you have?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
04z4

standard way to indicate which vehicle you have?

Post by 04z4 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:16 am

On some other forums, part of the user's profile indicates which car(s) they have, if they choose to supply that information. It can be helpful at times knowing which variant the owner has because some details differ from year to year and between models. It saves us from having to ask "which year/model do you have, exactly, in order for me to best answer your question?" I don't see a way to put that info into my profile on this forum. Am I overlooking something?
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster, Alpine White

zelmen

Re: standard way to indicate which vehicle you have?

Post by zelmen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:52 am

I agree it helps to be able to see which variant at a glance. Easy enough to do in your signature line setup as mine is setup. :D
2006 3.0si Roadster | Titanium Silver Metallic | Black Leather Interior | 6sp manual | Loaded, Cocked & Ready!

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:06 am

...although the signature's no use if - like me - you turn the signatures off in the control panel! I can't be bothered with the size of some folk's signatures as they make the forum harder to read, so I don't see anyone's signature.

Perhaps replacing the "Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:39pm" in the profile to something more useful such as car variant owned, would be an idea? What do the mods think of that idea?

BTW this should be in the "Forum Discussion" subforum :D
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 am

I've seen similar on other forums where you get a small icon of the model you have in the left hand side and when you roll over it it gives the full model variant...

see the example...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic55443.html
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:20 am

I've long held a belief that the forum should have a section where members can post details of their car, model, year, variant and modifications made. Searchable and with photos of whatever the member wants to post.

I have and done this on previous sites and it's one of the most popular features.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

04z4

Post by 04z4 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:43 am

I like the example linked to by ZermattV. It takes up very little screen space but gets the job done. It looks like the same software or service may be used to host the z4-forum site. It might be just a matter of turning that feature on somewhere in the settings for the forum.

I just added my car details to my signature line. It apparently now appears on all previous posts. It would still be nice to have a standard way to do this though.

MalcZ4

Post by MalcZ4 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:57 am

I agree it would be nice to have a standard format.
But what's wrong with a little individuality - such as the signature banners that some members have designed?

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:54 am

Hmm, I am on the Z4 forum .... I think I have a Z4. My sig has the details and I'm pretty sure there's a pic of a white tin-top Z4 around here somewhere.

nah, I'm not changing....it's all there, down to the mudflaps too.... :P
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

04z4

Post by 04z4 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:01 am

Your sig: "From a Z3 to an M3 to a Z4 s35i, with Dinan Stage II and a stubby + mudflaps"

Ah, yes, but what year? Or should I say years? Maybe you have two Z4's because I see two pictures? But the signature text doesn't say that. And sometimes I have seen people put photos of a pretty girl in their signature. Does that mean they have a claim on that particular female? :)

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:12 pm

04z4 wrote:Your sig: "From a Z3 to an M3 to a Z4 s35i, with Dinan Stage II and a stubby + mudflaps"

Ah, yes, but what year? Or should I say years? Maybe you have two Z4's because I see two pictures? But the signature text doesn't say that. And sometimes I have seen people put photos of a pretty girl in their signature. Does that mean they have a claim on that particular female? :)

Of course they do, we all have supermodels as wives.... :oops: I do have two Z4's, the white one is mine and the Gray one we got for my GF/spouse.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

04z4

Post by 04z4 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 am

Two Z4's make for the start of a very nice collection -- but what is truly impressive is that you managed to get your GF and your spouse to share one Z4 between the two of them!!! You rock!!! :thumbsup: