Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Photoshop tips...

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
Wondermike

Photoshop tips...

Post by Wondermike » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:20 pm

... none from me, but I asked the question of Veruca and Rick Hunter in the photo comp thread about how they "cut out" the car to use layers - motion blurred, different colours, etc. because I was having difficulty in doing it, was getting halfway around the car and then I would "lose it".
Wondermike wrote:Rick Hunter, Veruca, how are you managing to cut round your cars in Photoshop to get the layers? You using the lasso tool like polygonal lasso, I can't seem to make it round the whole car to cut it out, only smaller things like wheels?
Veruca wrote:Yes, either the polygonal lasso or the magic wand. Usually the lasso though. I zoom way in. I guess that's how.
Rick Hunter wrote:Dang... that's a phenomenal job, Veruca. I've been freehanding the regular lasso tool to do mine. Steady hand and careful eye gets my job done. I don't worry too much about minor imperfections, as the pic gets shrunk to competition size anyway.
I think patience is the key with this one, I haven't been putting enough time towards doing it properly.

I thought it might be an idea if we could get a sticky thread with some tips for using Photoshop, or where people who don't or haven't used it much could ask questions of the more experienced users?

inTgr8r

Re: Photoshop tips...

Post by inTgr8r » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:33 pm

Here's a great tutorial on photo shopping car colours.
The first steps include selection and layering.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:04 pm

inTgr8r, cheers just what I wanted :thumbsup:

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:14 pm

No problem.... :)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:45 am

Wow ... that is indeed a useful bit of info. Will have a play with that :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ignitor

Post by Ignitor » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:42 am

If anyone has any questions about something Photoshop just give me a shout. I've been using Pshop for well over ten years professionally so i should be able to help out in some way. 8)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Ignitor, thanks for the offer, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking you up on that :thumbsup:

Ignitor

Post by Ignitor » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:40 pm

I've just been offered some advice with my car and i cant offer any knowledge of that type as yet so i thought i'd offer you some know-how of how we do cutouts 'in the graphics biz' :wink: .
Yeah, the wand is OK, but there's not much control and it cant be a little unpredictable and harsh. I will only ever use it on small unimportant images or for rough layout work. When i'm working on print-ready hi-res images the following is the method i've perfected over the years.

OK, once the image is open, double click on the thumbnail and hit OK. This will make it into a layer rather than a background image.
Create a new layer and fill it with a contrasting colour or chosen background and drag it below your image. You can even just do a DUPLICATE LAYER and work on the uppermost layer but i prefer to sandwhich a contrasting colour inbetween to make the cutout easier to see.
Now select the layer with your image. In the menu bar, got to LAYER >> LAYER MASK >> REVEAL ALL. This will create a box next to your image thumbnail in the layer palette. This is your layer mask.
When working with a Layer Mask this box should be selected/highlighted. If your mask is selected a thick border will appear around it. Also notice that your foreground & background colours have changed to Black and White. If you see colour in your toolbar, the layer mask is not selected!
The key thing to remember here is that Black will subtract, and White will add.
For example, select the airbrush, select the black colour in the tool bar and spray over the image. You should see the layer you created with the contrasting colour show through where the part you've sprayed over is masked. Now select the white colour and spray over the area you've just masked. The image will return.
Using different brushes and opacities you can create some very realistic cutouts that are instantly editable without destroying your original.
To work on the actual image and not the mask, simply click on the image thumbnail next to the layer mask. You can also click on the 'link' that is between the mask and image icons to 'unlink' the mask. This means that the mask (when selected) can be resized, moved, flipped, rotated, etc. To relink the mask just click the area between the two icons.
You can also use the lasso to create the masks. Just draw your shape, have the mask selected in the palette, fill it with white or black and the effect is the same. I often use the Lasso to draw around the image (hold down the alt or option key to go 'dot-to-dot'), then hit command+shift+I to invert the selection then hit alt+delete to quickly create a cutout. Using different feathers can also be useful depending on the image.
When you're happy with your image and you've done your work, just got to LAYER>>LAYER MASK>>APPLY and the mask icon will disappear.
I hope the above makes sense and hasn't come across as patronising. Let me know if there is a problem with anything i've said here and i'll be happy to walk anyone through it. :thumbsup:
I notice in the previous threads that people here are also using the lasso rather than the pen tool to do cutouts. The Pen tool RULES! It's takes practice but is unbeatable for cutouts. If anyone wants to know how thats done then please feel free to ask and i'll do a quick tutorial.
Ignitor :evil: