Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Kev653

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Post by Kev653 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:55 pm

Hi all. I just wondered if anybody had suffered the same issue as I have just had.
After driving the car for around 30mins i turned left at a roundabout and accelerated steadily, the yellow triangle warning light flashed and the car stuttered intermittently. It then went out and i drove on with no issues. However it happened again several times before I got home, same scenario accelerating whilst turning left. I plugged the autophix 5900 tool in when I got home and it showed a EPS fault. It said “ sport button issue” but the car doesn’t have a sport button fitted. It’s only a 2.0.
I had a recon steering column fitted around 18 months ago after the power steering failed and I’ve had no issues whatsoever since . I wondered if this is a sensor issue or another new column needed.
Thanks in advance.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 23, 2024 7:14 pm

I would start by using the Autophix to read live data from the steering angle sensor. Straight ahead is zero. Then it goes from -540 to +540 lock to lock. If it doesn’t do that then try getting it recalibrated first.
When I’ve changed columns I’ve had to recalibrate a couple of times until it settles down
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Kev653

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Post by Kev653 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:12 pm

Thanks for your advice. It’s definitely much appreciated. I’ll give it a go first thing tomorrow.
Is re calibration a straight forward process for a garage or something more major.
Thanks again for your valuable advice

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 23, 2024 10:31 pm

Kev653 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:12 pm Thanks for your advice. It’s definitely much appreciated. I’ll give it a go first thing tomorrow.
Is re calibration a straight forward process for a garage or something more major.
Thanks again for your valuable advice
The Autophix 7600 can do it but not sure the 5900 can. Maybe someone near you with INPA etc?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Kev653

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Post by Kev653 » Sat May 25, 2024 5:28 pm

Hi. I’ll order an autophix 7600 and try it.
Just thinking on. The issue started after having a complete new set of brakes fitted. Calipers, rotors and pads. Could this be related. It also only happens intermittently. The Autophix 5900 shows an EPS code and when I go into the read code it says “ Sport Button Display “ but the car doesn’t have a sport button fitted!!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 25, 2024 7:12 pm

Kev653 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:28 pm Hi. I’ll order an autophix 7600 and try it.
Just thinking on. The issue started after having a complete new set of brakes fitted. Calipers, rotors and pads. Could this be related. It also only happens intermittently. The Autophix 5900 shows an EPS code and when I go into the read code it says “ Sport Button Display “ but the car doesn’t have a sport button fitted!!
Don’t waste money on a different reader yet.
Your one should show the steering angles ok.
However, with more information I would say that in the past I have had to hammer a couple of discs off and it has upset the abs sensors on the wheels.
Possibly one of those gone wrong but I would expect a code.
Did they do the tracking afterwards? If so, that can sometimes require the steering angle sensor recalibration too.

tug

E85 2.0 EPS issue

Post by tug » Mon May 27, 2024 7:44 am

I had exactly the same issue a while back, it was nothing to do with the EPS (although the reader said it was) A couple of days later the same thing, then the trifecta effect, turns out it was the O/S rear ABS Sensor :thumbsup:

Hope yours is as simple as mine was.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE