Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hood stuck shut after lack of use

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Sat May 11, 2024 10:46 am

Hi All
I am hoping someone can help with this.
I have not had the roof down on my car for probably 6 months now.The weather and lack of use both contributing.
Yesterday I started the engine and tried to lower the roof.The side windows dropped a little as they normally do and then the hood tried to move but then didnt.
A warning came up that I needed to lock the roof manually, and nothing else would happen.I tried it a couple more times with the key as well but nothing changed.
This morning I tried again and the same as before.I thought I would try the tool to see if any movement might help it to go.I opened it a little(probably just 3-5 cm) and then tried it,nothing.Shut it again,still nowt.
One thing that has happened since trying to open it manually is that when I pull the switch the side windows no longer drop.I can still lower them on the switches and the key but the roof does not even try now.
Any help would be appreciated. Its probably just lack of use and I should know better than not use something that moves more often.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 am

I'd be surprised to be honest the hood would stop working after a few months of not being used. Probably best to get the car scanned and see what error codes come up. Could be a failed switch or something.

Tim.

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Sun May 12, 2024 1:19 pm

I seem to remember that just after i got my car, there was some threads about a similar issue.

So im guessing if you search about 2 years ago, you might find something...

I cant remember the outcome...Sorry

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Sun May 12, 2024 1:42 pm

Thanks for the reply's Guys.Nothing with quite the same problem looking through past posts.
Might need to bite the bullet and go to BMW, however the main agents are never looking for the simple fix.

Are the sensors all in one place on the vehicle and where are they located.I'm pretty sure something has just gone to sleep through lack of use.

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Tue May 14, 2024 2:19 pm

Not sure if you've read this....

viewtopic.php?t=136790

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Wed May 15, 2024 9:02 am

Thanks Dave,I did find that the other day after you pointed me in the right direction.Sadly nothing I try with the windows works.

Is there a fuse somewhere that covers one of the lowering operations that might have blown.I have looked on the sheet and its pretty confusing to me as to what covers what and where..

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Wed May 15, 2024 11:04 am

I believe there are 2 fuse boxes.

One in the boot area behind a panel, I think on the right hand side.

And one under the steering wheel area , so long as its a RHD car.

See pic for fuse numbers. It looks like there are a few fuses that control the roof and windows..
Attachments
34714D20-5A6E-4BDE-9DE9-E0DAADAE9D65.jpeg
34714D20-5A6E-4BDE-9DE9-E0DAADAE9D65.jpeg (175.47 KiB) Viewed 189 times
Layout1.png
Layout1.png (303.8 KiB) Viewed 189 times
142B7418-CF69-4EFF-8D3E-039386F3ED5B.jpeg
142B7418-CF69-4EFF-8D3E-039386F3ED5B.jpeg (154.76 KiB) Viewed 189 times

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Wed May 15, 2024 12:00 pm

Thanks Dave,thats very useful..

Is the reference to the cig lighter fuse for reference only how to get the fuse out or is that something that is to do with the soft top.
I guess the hood image are the fuses I need to find..

I dont know why manufacturers hide boxes in places that are not easy to get to.Just put them all in one easily accessible place under one cover..

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Thu May 16, 2024 10:22 am

Just an update in case anyone else has this issue.
I checked all the fuses in the boot and under the drivers side footwell.(what a daft place to gain access) and all were good.
After having done this I got into the car and the hood is now working perfectly.I did lube and white grease a few moving parts whilst I was there.

So I really have no idea as to why it stopped working in the first place or why it started again,other than maybe a loose fuse..

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Thu May 16, 2024 1:45 pm

Glad you've got it moving again..

Lets hope it was a badly connected fuse..

The reference for the cigarette fuse was just one pic I had and included it. I seem to think it was because at some point I had an issue with my cig lighter socket not working...

TTZ4

Post by TTZ4 » Sun May 19, 2024 10:12 pm

Staginhiding wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:46 am Hi All
I am hoping someone can help with this.
I have not had the roof down on my car for probably 6 months now.The weather and lack of use both contributing.
Yesterday I started the engine and tried to lower the roof.The side windows dropped a little as they normally do and then the hood tried to move but then didnt.
A warning came up that I needed to lock the roof manually, and nothing else would happen.I tried it a couple more times with the key as well but nothing changed.
This morning I tried again and the same as before.I thought I would try the tool to see if any movement might help it to go.I opened it a little(probably just 3-5 cm) and then tried it,nothing.Shut it again,still nowt.
One thing that has happened since trying to open it manually is that when I pull the switch the side windows no longer drop.I can still lower them on the switches and the key but the roof does not even try now.
Any help would be appreciated. Its probably just lack of use and I should know better than not use something that moves more often.
I had a similar issue today, the hood has not been dropped since November when I bought the car. At first nothing happened when I pulled the button other than a message stating the hood needed to be closed manually (despite being closed). I double checked the manual to see if there was something I was missing and tried again which resulted in the windows dropping 10mm and then the same message appeared. So I gave up and went out with the hood up with the intension of booking it in at the dealer (still has the approved warranty). On my return thought I would give it another go and hey presto it worked and after a quick run out it went back up first time.

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Mon May 20, 2024 2:37 pm

I think the lack of use plays a big part..Good to hear that yours is working again okay..