Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof again!

JimM

Roof again!

Post by JimM » Wed May 08, 2024 2:46 pm

Hi All,

Had previous fault code - Carly error code 00A692?
Microswitch, rear-end module closed, right.

Run for the last few months as a hard top version only - never lowered the roof in case it would not close again.

So based on number of roof faults listed on the forum I decided to purchase replacement switches and hall sensors.
Also purchased a selection of cables to enable replacement of all the switch cables that break over time.

This morning with the help of my son we replaced the two switched that operate the boot - to fix above code error
Microswitch, rear-end module closed, right.

Followed one of the forum U-Tubes to perform the switch swap out.
all went well with no issues in switch removal and replacement.

When the roof close button pressed Roof sections move into position, then the boot moves into the closed position.
Windows close as expected. All GOOD.

Roof open button pressed - opens the boot, folds both roof sections into the boot then stops.
The boot wont fold back into the closed position?

Any suggestions?

Works ok when roof moves to close position
Does not work when roof moves to open position.

cheers
Jim.

JimM

Roof again!

Post by JimM » Wed May 08, 2024 2:49 pm

Should have added there are no error codes on Carly.

However, the RED led lights when pressing open button and boot comes to the close operation with roof sections stored.

Stash36

Roof again!

Post by Stash36 » Wed May 08, 2024 4:02 pm

You might need a proper code reader, there should be something stored. Is there a message on the idrive screen at the point of failure (if you have idrive).
As this is new behaviour, have you been over the work you did today to check nothing amiss?
Tread carefully, and be happy that at least you have the closing and locking windows part working!

Chippie

Roof again!

Post by Chippie » Wed May 08, 2024 4:55 pm

I have to agree with above, re check everything you have done, it sounds like it’s waiting for the signal to say that the roof is folded into the boot but not getting it, so the lid won’t close
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

JimM

Roof again!

Post by JimM » Wed May 08, 2024 5:29 pm

Agreed with comments.
Our thoughts were the same. Boot must be waiting for signal that roof sections have been stored in the boot area.

Back over all the work we did.
Removed both arm mechanisms then reassembled noting the location marks on the bracket and the body.
Low and behold the boot now operates both in the open mode and the close mode.

Problem resolved. :D

Thanks again for the forum support.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof again!

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 08, 2024 6:23 pm

Sounds like at least one of your rear microswitches wasn't being pressed as the rams/ hinges were a touch out of line.

On one of the 'how to' threads for replacing rear microswitches it highlights marking the hinges and the body with something obvious so it is easy to line up after.

Good you worked out the problem. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!