Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blown Fuel Pump Fuse - What are my options?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Mon May 06, 2024 3:58 pm

Hi all,

Recently I had a whole saga trying to fix a fuel leak I had - I replaced the fuel filter which solved the issue (more about this on my personal thread). This past weekend I went to Wales and had a lovely couple of days driving the car fairly hard there - about 500 miles since the fuel leak work. Yesterday while cruising up the Horseshoe Pass I pulled into a layby to let a few cars disappear for a clear run up and as I started to pull away the car shut down and wouldn't start. A lot of head scratching later and realising I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming, I checked the fuses and saw no #4 was blown. Replaced that and the car fired right up and power band was fine and engine felt happy.

Only sometimes while pulling away slowly from roundabouts, the car would bog down and die, but would still restart and more revs would get it going. Once going, no issues. I cut the day short and drove back home in England to be safe - 130 miles on the motorway and no issues then. After letting the car cool down and cleaning it to put in the garage, I started it up, it ran roughly (running out of fuel) and died. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Changed that, the car started and I was able to drive it into the garage normally. At the moment, it still starts up without issues.

Obviously I disrupted the wiring and fuel lines from the pump to the filter while doing the filter work, so I will be quadruple checking that. However, I'm fairly confident, all of that is fine and my fuel pump is probably on its last legs and getting stuck or something and drawing too much current and popping the fuse.

Has anyone replaced the fuel pump with an aftermarket unit such as a Walbro one? Would an S54/Z4M need to be remapped for it (my current assumption would be no due to the pressure regulator within the tank, but happy to be told otherwise).

I expect this will be yet another part BMW will not have in stock (if not discontinued all together) and the weather is nice, so I don't want to waste 4-12weeks waiting for parts!
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Mon May 06, 2024 4:55 pm

Try
JC Racing
Simon Thorpe Motors in Grimsby
Wayne at Chip Wizards North Manchester ish

Between these 3 they will have an answer and maybe a spare pump

If it is the pump there is a lot of work to get to it so be sure it is faulty before you start at least one of the above will have live data to log the pump pressure
Wayne has a rolling road so it is easy to check at full load

Hope this helps

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Mon May 06, 2024 7:48 pm

PDJ wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:55 pm Try
JC Racing
Simon Thorpe Motors in Grimsby
Wayne at Chip Wizards North Manchester ish

Between these 3 they will have an answer and maybe a spare pump

If it is the pump there is a lot of work to get to it so be sure it is faulty before you start at least one of the above will have live data to log the pump pressure
Wayne has a rolling road so it is easy to check at full load

Hope this helps
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will be calling some places to get quotes for parts, but won't be taking the far anywhere. Well familiar with getting access to the inside of the tank.
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD