Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Big Andra

Post by Big Andra » Sat May 04, 2024 7:47 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:56 pm Having replaced the rear shocks on the Mrs E89 in the last week or so, and previously correcting the Bonnet, roof and boot lid, I turned my attention to both sides today. Doors, rear wings, front wing panels and side skirts all corrected… happy with the results and clarity;

IMG_3722.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg
Top job, sir 👌🏻
2009 E89 2.5 Alpine white.

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat May 04, 2024 8:46 pm

Ilogik wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:19 pm Sorted out the handywork of some twunt hit and run drive. Better than it was for now.
Bit hard to work out the order of the pics, have you wet sanded and then polised?

Sorry to hear about the hit and run :headbang:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat May 04, 2024 8:47 pm

Big Andra wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:47 pm
True-Blue wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:56 pm Having replaced the rear shocks on the Mrs E89 in the last week or so, and previously correcting the Bonnet, roof and boot lid, I turned my attention to both sides today. Doors, rear wings, front wing panels and side skirts all corrected… happy with the results and clarity;

IMG_3722.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg
Top job, sir 👌🏻
Thank you very much :)
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

Ilogik

Post by Ilogik » Sat May 04, 2024 10:02 pm

Haha yeh the photos went a bit weird, but yeh some dent pulling then some wet / dry and polishing. Long day but it’s taken the edge off it looking beaten up.
True-Blue wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:46 pm
Ilogik wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:19 pm Sorted out the handywork of some twunt hit and run drive. Better than it was for now.
Bit hard to work out the order of the pics, have you wet sanded and then polised?

Sorry to hear about the hit and run :headbang:

Barty

Post by Barty » Sat May 04, 2024 10:57 pm

IMG_3852.jpeg
IMG_3852.jpeg (249.89 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Gave it a much needed clean after the Wales trip
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Sun May 05, 2024 6:51 am

Yesterday I mostly drove my car 20 miles, came home, parked up, went inside, came back outside and noticed that the rear drivers side ride height is about 4" lower than the nearside, due, it seems, to the car self-modifying the coil from the traditional all-in-one design and replacing it with the more experimental two-part setsup where the lower and upper parts of the spring are not connected.

Today I will be mostly considering what parts to buy as replacements. I'd be shocked if the shocks are OK on the rear.

I am not overly surprised. I knew the front had been done (sachs shocks with unknown coils) in the not-too-distant past, and the rears looked old.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 05, 2024 7:50 am

Fred Smith wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:51 am Yesterday I mostly drove my car 20 miles, came home, parked up, went inside, came back outside and noticed that the rear drivers side ride height is about 4" lower than the nearside, due, it seems, to the car self-modifying the coil from the traditional all-in-one design and replacing it with the more experimental two-part setsup where the lower and upper parts of the spring are not connected.

Today I will be mostly considering what parts to buy as replacements. I'd be shocked if the shocks are OK on the rear.

I am not overly surprised. I knew the front had been done (sachs shocks with unknown coils) in the not-too-distant past, and the rears looked old.
Suplex springs are a good oem replacement. Sachs or bilstein B4, Lemforder top mounts.
Also check the drop links. If one side has moved that much there is a chance they can break.
If you have xenon lights you’ll have a levelling sensor on the right rear. Make sure you don’t damage that when you lever the suspension down to fit the spring.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Sun May 05, 2024 8:09 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:50 am
Fred Smith wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:51 am Yesterday I mostly drove my car 20 miles, came home, parked up, went inside, came back outside and noticed that the rear drivers side ride height is about 4" lower than the nearside, due, it seems, to the car self-modifying the coil from the traditional all-in-one design and replacing it with the more experimental two-part setsup where the lower and upper parts of the spring are not connected.

Suplex springs are a good oem replacement. Sachs or bilstein B4, Lemforder top mounts.
Also check the drop links. If one side has moved that much there is a chance they can break.
If you have xenon lights you’ll have a levelling sensor on the right rear. Make sure you don’t damage that when you lever the suspension down to fit the spring.
Thank you... I have spent the last hour on google and here reading and learning... I will be back asking for approval for my final reasoning and decision!

D.Bryce

Post by D.Bryce » Sun May 05, 2024 8:36 am

Finally got the Haimus airbox mapped in and the fractured exhaust flanges repairs, took her out for a good 350mile drive round the highlands.

I can say the induction noise paired with the super sprint exhaust is absolute perfection, and the 4.1FD totally brings the whole car alive, by far one of best cars I’ve owned.
IMG_0867.jpeg
IMG_0867.jpeg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 267 times

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun May 05, 2024 9:22 am

D.Bryce wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:36 am Finally got the Haimus airbox mapped in and the fractured exhaust flanges repairs, took her out for a good 350mile drive round the highlands.

I can say the induction noise paired with the super sprint exhaust is absolute perfection, and the 4.1FD totally brings the whole car alive, by far one of best cars I’ve owned.

IMG_0867.jpeg
Car looks great. Any pics of the airbox?
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

D.Bryce

Post by D.Bryce » Sun May 05, 2024 10:29 am

If you insist 🙄
IMG_0300.jpeg
IMG_0300.jpeg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 235 times

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun May 05, 2024 11:04 am

Sorry to twist your arm :P
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Big Andra

Post by Big Andra » Sun May 05, 2024 2:51 pm

D.Bryce wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:36 am Finally got the Haimus airbox mapped in and the fractured exhaust flanges repairs, took her out for a good 350mile drive round the highlands.

IMG_0867.jpeg
A thing of beauty.
2009 E89 2.5 Alpine white.

FixMyZ4

Post by FixMyZ4 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:22 pm

Long weekend, nice weather, so I had to do some work.
Replaced front shocks yesteday, nearly cried, it was relatively easy to take apart, but near impossible and so much hussle to put together - solid 8 hours work. Ended up using car weight and jack from bottom to have enough compression in order to get the top nut in.
Today I have replaced 20 year old "livetime" gearbox oil that was black magma, with nice new "golden" oil.
Failed to get to diff for oil change - need to have that massive alen key :(
Also added new Brembo brake discs at front and replaced anti-roll bar bushes.
I would not say rewarding, but Zed goes so much better now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 05, 2024 7:41 pm

FixMyZ4 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:22 pm Long weekend, nice weather, so I had to do some work.
Replaced front shocks yesteday, nearly cried, it was relatively easy to take apart, but near impossible and so much hussle to put together - solid 8 hours work. Ended up using car weight and jack from bottom to have enough compression in order to get the top nut in.
Seriously???
Some achievement if you didn't use spring compressors. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: