Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ignition coil stuck

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
SolameteRico

Ignition coil stuck

Post by SolameteRico » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:48 am

Ran into my first real issue working on this car (2008 3.0si auto) 61k miles on the clock, went to change spark plugs but the ignition coils are stuck. I can lift the top to remove the connector fine but I cannot pull the coil off the spark plug. Tried twisting and turning a bit but it won't budge. Worried about breaking something real expensive. So three questions...
  • Any tips how to remove them?
  • How do I prevent this in the future?
  • Should I get new ignition coils now and just replace those as well?

SolameteRico

Ignition coil stuck

Post by SolameteRico » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 am

Well I got brave, put a screwdriver between the hole and gently pulled up. Popped out just fine. Noticed a lot of white "powder" in the coil on every single one, normal?

raymond.harper

Ignition coil stuck

Post by raymond.harper » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:47 am

Probably never been replaced or the right lubricant placed like silicon, they can get very hot. I just hope that it will be easy to remove the spark plugs. Once I owned a 2.8 Fiero and the far bank spark plugs were all seized. If you ever try to remove them, take care.

colb

Ignition coil stuck

Post by colb » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:17 am

Dab some Dielectric grease into the ends of the coil packs when replacing them, that should assist in plugging them back and getting them to pop out next time.
https://www.thedrive.com/maintenance-re ... ric-grease
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

SolameteRico

Ignition coil stuck

Post by SolameteRico » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:49 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:47 am Probably never been replaced or the right lubricant placed like silicon, they can get very hot. I just hope that it will be easy to remove the spark plugs. Once I owned a 2.8 Fiero and the far bank spark plugs were all seized. If you ever try to remove them, take care.
I was able to change all the plugs. They were definitely in there very tight.

SolameteRico

Ignition coil stuck

Post by SolameteRico » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:50 pm

colb wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:17 am Dab some Dielectric grease into the ends of the coil packs when replacing them, that should assist in plugging them back and getting them to pop out next time.
https://www.thedrive.com/maintenance-re ... ric-grease
Thank you!