Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AAAAHHHH nearly ruined a refurbished alloy

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Trav

Post by Trav » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:38 pm

Just had the alloys refurbished. Said to Mrs " Lets go have a nice drive in the country". 2 miles out it was clear something was dodgy (handbrake yellow and puncture warning). Stuck brake calliper was my thought as the car hadn't been used much recently ( that's why I suggested going for a run). Stopped and found drivers side front alloy roasting. The heat was causing the extra pressure and rotational speed error. Turned around and went home slowly. Drivers side alloy, although it was roasting, fortunately the powder coat wasn't ruined. I think the balancing weights adhesive melted off though. Booked it in for a service in a few weeks. Took off the alloy and freed off the calliper in the mean time. I need to use the car more in colder weather. I was so looking forward to my drive but once the error codes started popping up, purely because of the heat generated, my Mrs wasn't having it. She has saved me wrecking the front drivers side alloy powder coat mind you. I took it out today and all is tickety boo.
What else goes wrong through lack of use? I think my throttle actuator went the same way through lack of use a couple of years ago. The car died and I happened to pull over in a farm entrance of a real BMW nut. He listened to me messing for a bit then suggested my throttle body was stuck open. He wasn't far wrong, actuator goosed. He was listening from a barn 40m away.
What else can be a lack of use type issue.? I don't like using the car in the winter due to our gritty roads, but I need to find a compromise between stuff failing and keeping the car free from the salt (October to March).
Z4MR A.W.

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:48 pm

The worse thing for any car is to be sat not being used.
Oil seals dry up. Obviously brake callipers can seize as you have found out.
Electric window and windscreen motors can seize.
Bearing on alternator tensioners rollers ac compressor.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 pm

Good to know you managed to save your wheel. :thumbsup:

I scuffed two of mine last week. :headbang: My own fault, but why did it have to happen on my birthday?

I try to use mine all year to avoid those sort of issues, but I don't go on salty roads and try to avoid wet days. So long as it isn't too cold a drive on a sunny winters' day can be as much fun as the summer. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 pm but why did it have to happen on my birthday?
Too much sauce?
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:38 pm

Zedebee wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 pm Mr Tidy wrote: ↑Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 pm
but why did it have to happen on my birthday?
Too much sauce?
No sauce was involved! I shouldn't have parked with the back wheel against the kerb, but a monster SUV parked less than a foot from the front when I came back to it didn't help. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black