Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re French MOT fail

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
w1ndsurfnut

Re French MOT fail

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:04 am

My 2005 e85 failed the ct on left shock, left steering knuckle and front right brake hose. Obviously going to do both sides but can someone confirm the shock says it is bi tube so does that mean I can just order the strut. Looks like complete unit is about 140 euro off auto doc for a Sachs, but just the strut/actual shock is 60Euro. Anyone done this. Thanks in advance. Ps Don't want anything fancy as this is my wife's z4 so just keeping standard. Do I need to change springs as well or is it advised.
Ok I just found Bigwinns write up on front suspension change. Should have looked harder before I jumped on the keyboard.
Still chip in though if you have some info. Thanks you.

colb

Re French MOT fail

Post by colb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:45 pm

Makes sense to put new springs in given the age of the car you don't want to go tearing it apart later on when a spring snaps.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

j3nks79

Re French MOT fail

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:50 pm

If you are doing shocks I would order top mounts and drop links. As you are removing it anyway.
And track rod end I would also order the inner tie rod as well. Obviously measure them up to same length so you have the alignment roughly right. And obviously will need tracking after.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Re French MOT fail

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm

What mileage (kilometreage) is the car?
I must admit if the springs are good I usually leave them on, but as colb says, you run the risk of having to dismantle it all again later.
Get new top mounts (Lemforder), new bump stops (Febi Bilstein). You can reuse the rubbers top and bottom unless they are perished. Also reuse the rubber dust covers.
Definitely buy new knuckle bolts as the old ones will be corroded. They are also likely to be seized and you don't want them shearing, so go very slow and steady.
Knuckle bolt part number is 31306779487: readily available from BMW.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

w1ndsurfnut

Re French MOT fail

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm What mileage (kilometreage) is the car?
I must admit if the springs are good I usually leave them on, but as colb says, you run the risk of having to dismantle it all again later.
Get new top mounts (Lemforder), new bump stops (Febi Bilstein). You can reuse the rubbers top and bottom unless they are perished. Also reuse the rubber dust covers.
Definitely buy new knuckle bolts as the old ones will be corroded. They are also likely to be seized and you don't want them shearing, so go very slow and steady.
Knuckle bolt part number is 31306779487: readily available from BMW.
Thanks for the info and part number for the knuckle bolts. I was having a job finding them. Cheers.

w1ndsurfnut

Re French MOT fail

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:00 pm

Thankyou for the great responses and info. Mileage is just over 100k. I'll post an update when I do the work.