Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth connectivity

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
R7uss

Bluetooth connectivity

Post by R7uss » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 pm

So I'm having a little trouble.
I have a 2004 with Business CD & CD changer system with extra speakers behind the seats.
I'm wanting to listen to phone audio such as Spotify and have seen it can be linked on YouTube vids with a harness adapter incorporating Bluetooth dongle.
I have purchased 2 with no success.
Bluetooth connects but no sound through aux mode (vehicle already had aux jack) or through CD changer channel.
Thinking it was because the changer wouldn't load the magazine I ripped the interior apart today to fix the CD changer internals, good news the CD changer now works but still wanting to somehow link my phone to the original OE stereo.

Any help why it's not working would be much appreciated or what needs to be purchased to make it work?
Both adapters have now been returned for refund.

Wozzich

Bluetooth connectivity

Post by Wozzich » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:54 am

Hi
Just for reference, here is my experience, not sure it will actually help though.
I have the Business CD and CD Changer but no AUX input jack.
Bought the mid priced eBay adapter, the one that has the piggy back adapter that goes between the stock head unit and the car wiring and pretends to be AUX. Easy to install and it did work, but it was a bit flaky disconnecting from time to time, plus no track control on through the head unit.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (72.24 KiB) Viewed 104 times
I then ordered the BlueMusic version from eBay, it came from Germany.
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png (160.35 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Installation was fiddly but not hard. You get to the back of the CD changer through the boot and it replaces the changer input. This means you select CD on the head unit and the track buttons work.

What I found initially was that track control worked but no sound. Once I removed the first eBay Bluetooth adapter (AUX) installed behind the head unit I got sound too.

The only thing I can advise is to work out how to disconnect the AUX input. Good luck.
W

R7uss

Bluetooth connectivity

Post by R7uss » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 am

Thanks. Removing the AUX input is easy as just plugged into the harness.
I have tried the same unit and another similar one.
But not the CD changer adapter plug.
Is it just a case of removing the carpet in the boot?

Also I don't know if face-lift 2006 onwards and pre face-lift run different systems and maybe there are different adapters dependant on year ?