Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ring doorbell cam

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Ring doorbell cam

Post by dr_john » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:20 am

Following on from Tim’s thread about Ring subscriptions, my recently acquired doorbell cam has gone totally dead. I’ve had it working fine since installing it back in January, now the battery needed charging (first time), but on inserting the recharged battery the whole thing is dead.

I’ve had 2 other Ring outdoor cameras installed for several years now which work fine.

After going through the Ring help pages I gave up and phoned support, the person I spoke to couldn’t get it working either, so they are sending me a new one. Full marks for customer service!

On googling the issue, there are loads of people with a similar story, just wondering if anybody on the forum has experienced this?

Thanks, John :)
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Ring doorbell cam

Post by TitanTim » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:21 pm

Have you charged the battery up for a good 8 hours John, with one of my cameras it can take an age to charge up although I find the app can be slow to catch up with the battery status so showing low charge when it's actually fully charged.

Guessed you've also tried resetting the unit using the setup button and holding it for over 20 secs.

They do seem to fail for no reason, at least they've replaced it.

Don't know if I'll keep my cameras once the subscription expires in a years time, a 100 quid for 2 cameras is a joke. Only reason I like the outdoor cameras is you can hook them up to a solar panel so never have to charge them up.

Tim.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Ring doorbell cam

Post by dr_john » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:17 pm

Yes Tim, I always charge the batteries overnight until the only the green light is on. They do take a long time but then they keep a charge for two or three months in my experience.

Just waiting for the replacement now :)

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Ring doorbell cam

Post by Lynchy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:36 pm

Ours stopped taking a charge after having it for nearly 5 years and like you the phone support was good but didn’t resolve the issue. As the warranty had run out some years ago i simply hard wired it in and all is good now.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Ring doorbell cam

Post by dr_john » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:17 pm

Lynchy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:36 pm Ours stopped taking a charge after having it for nearly 5 years and like you the phone support was good but didn’t resolve the issue. As the warranty had run out some years ago i simply hard wired it in and all is good now.
I guess you tried a new battery? Lithium Ion batteries have a life span of 2-3 years or 300-500 cycles so 5 years sounds pretty good! :)

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Ring doorbell cam

Post by Lynchy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 pm

dr_john wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:17 pm
Lynchy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:36 pm Ours stopped taking a charge after having it for nearly 5 years and like you the phone support was good but didn’t resolve the issue. As the warranty had run out some years ago i simply hard wired it in and all is good now.

I guess you tried a new battery? Lithium Ion batteries have a life span of 2-3 years or 300-500 cycles so 5 years sounds pretty good! :)

I’m not sure I could replace the battery as I think my one is a sealed unit

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Ring doorbell cam

Post by dr_john » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 pm

New cam arrived today. Fitted it, all works OK although I had to find out how to actually delete the original one before it would let me install the new one so there was a bit of buggering around but Google came to the rescue.

One other thing - once fitted there is a small silver plastic moulding that fits around the push button and clicks into place. I can never get it to fully lock into place.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Ring doorbell cam

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 pm

I assume you have found that you can go to settings / devices and de-activate the old one.

I would not call the new one exactly the same as they are buggers for leaving bits of info whereby the App ringing stops for example
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo