Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

open / close roof whilst moving

"M" Specific discussion
Z4MMM

Post by Z4MMM » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Was driving around the other day. Thought that I'd put the roof down and remembered that prior to purchasing the car, the stealer had told me that it's possible to put the roof up or down whilst moving as long as you're doing less than 30 MPH. Well mine doesn't do it. It will go down if the car is at standstill only. You can pull away slowly and it continues to drop but you have to completely stop the car to initiate the roof going up or down. Is this normal, or should I be able to drop the roof whilst driving under 30?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: open / close roof whilst moving

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:50 pm

Correct - you need to stop but it will then continue to cycle while you drive off.

The New 1 Series convertible has a roof that will operate below 30 mph. Guess the dealer is confused, stupid or distorting the truth
Last edited by cj10jeeper on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:...Guess the dealer is confused, stupid or distorting the truth
Probably all 3 :D

On topic, mine used to work as above ie. stop to get the roof underway then move off.

Z4MMM

Post by Z4MMM » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:46 pm

shame it requires you to keep your finger on the button too. Quite tricky trying to put the roof down whilst pulling away, and change gear too!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:55 pm

It is, I used to steer with my nose and use the right hand to shift gear whilst keeping my left hand on the roof button.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Z4MMM wrote:shame it requires you to keep your finger on the button too. Quite tricky trying to put the roof down whilst pulling away, and change gear too!
The Reinhold one touch module deals with that one.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Z4MMM

Post by Z4MMM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:17 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
Z4MMM wrote:shame it requires you to keep your finger on the button too. Quite tricky trying to put the roof down whilst pulling away, and change gear too!
Has anyone fitted one? How difficult is it? Really apprciate it if someone could send me a scan of the instructions so i can have a browse before buying!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Z4MMM wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:
Has anyone fitted one? How difficult is it? Really apprciate it if someone could send me a scan of the instructions so i can have a browse before buying!

There are some threads around on fitting one. It's basically 5 or 6 wires to connect . 2 under the glove box footwell area and the remainder under the ashtray. It's a 30 minute job, but say and hour first time, to allow for gentle exploration and stumbling around.

Ergellegre

Post by Ergellegre » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 pm

Does the old one-click handbrake trick not work on a Z4? My current convertible will obediently open or close the roof when moving with the handbrake on one click.
Last edited by Ergellegre on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:29 pm

The speed you can put the roof up and down depends how strong your left arm is in a UK MX5. :D :wink:

Nick W

Post by Nick W » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:15 pm

Save all that hassle, always drive with the roof down.
Silver M Roadster
220d Active Tourer
Landrovers 90 & 110

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:13 pm

Nick W wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:15 pm Save all that hassle, always drive with the roof down.
Unless it's raining hard :evil: :thumbsup: Anyway, as you know the sun always shines here in sunny Devon :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Ergellegre

Post by Ergellegre » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:02 pm

Ok, so handbrake trick does not work with E85 Z4 roof, however, I installed a Mods4Cars SmartTop module which goes neatly behind the panel behind the passenger seat, into a body control module - and now after some easy programming via USB and laptop, I can choose to one-touch open or close the roof up to a max of 40kmh (a perfectly safe speed w/o severe headwind). Very neat device, and easy to install, a bit pricey but worth it IMHO.