Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel Pump / EKPS issues

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
TexasAmazon

Fuel Pump / EKPS issues

Post by TexasAmazon » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:38 am

I have a new to me 2007 Z4 3.0i with the N52 engine. The car sat for four years and the fuel pump died. I replaced it with a Delphi unit and it fired right up. The cars runs great, until it’s been running for about an hour and then it starts to surge at idle and die. Sometimes I can restart and run it for awhile before it comes back, but yesterday it would just crank and not fire. Once the car cooled down, it fired up just fine. On short trips, I don’t have any issues.

Codes :
2AAE - fuel pump - intermittent
94 - EKPS - control current too low

Would you suspect this an issue with the new fuel pump or something in the EKPS? Sometimes the car will surge briefly at idle and the live data shows it sending 12V to the fuel pump and it fixes itself.

j3nks79

Fuel Pump / EKPS issues

Post by j3nks79 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:16 pm

I’d start by replacing the pump again just to rule that out.
I take it you changed the fuel filter?
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

TexasAmazon

Fuel Pump / EKPS issues

Post by TexasAmazon » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:51 pm

The fuel filter and pressure regulator are an integrated unit that runs about $300. I could not find one at the time of the repair, so I just replaced the pump. This issue seems inconsistent with a fuel filter related problem as it runs fine otherwise.