Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternatives to the original door closing mechanism assembly

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Aleks Mys

Alternatives to the original door closing mechanism assembly

Post by Aleks Mys » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:13 am

Hello.

I drive a BMW Z4 2003 with M54B30.
Periodically, closer to the winter season, my door stopped opening using the handle from the inside or outside. The lock stick moves up and down as normal. A quick search suggested that it could be stretched cables to the door closing mechanism, but I have doubts that they both stretched at the same time and also start working at the same time after maybe 5-15 attempts. I suspect that there is some kind of gear inside the mechanism that has become loose and now I am thinking about replacing the lock mechanism assembly.

I would like to get advice from you, my dear friends.
According to the catalog, I need part number "51 21 7 202 146", but its delivery is expected for me only in half a month. After doing a little searching, I discovered that there are substitutes that, unlike the original, are much more affordable. For example, here are a few options that one of the spare parts sellers offered me:
- NTY EZC-BM-016;
- MAXGEAR 28-0465;
- SKV GERMANY 16SKV432;
- ERA 660276.

Please tell me, has anyone had experience installing non-original door lock mechanism as a passenger door closing mechanism?