Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen / Roof seal rubber

dario

Post by dario » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 am

Is there an owner on here of an E89 Z4 that has changed the rubber seal on the window header rail, which seals the roof?

I’d be interesting in knowing whether you encountered any specific difficulties, and of course, if it altered the water coming into the car and the heavy rain conditions.
I know my car is now 12 years old and a few leaks will occur, but I’d like to fix them if I can.
Attachments
IMG_5457.jpeg
IMG_5457.jpeg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 306 times

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:17 am

Does your rubber seal really need replacing?
It is a big one. Have you checked it thoroughly for any rips? If there are no rips in the rubber anywhere then it probably just needs some TLC.

Had this very recently (this week) with a new E89, and previously with the last one TBH. Water dripping onto the seats and down the windscreen. Thinking there must be a problem with the seal or clamping force of the roof.

Nope...neither. Just very slightly dry seals. Ten minutes with some silicone-based 'rubber care' (Gummi Pflege or similar) stopped any leakage on both cars. it is certainly worth a try, or two.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:18 am

I’ve got the same issue…I’ve tried various treatments without success..

Will be interested to see how you get on..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:37 am

If you want to soften the rubber i have always used Triplewax tyre shine.
Squirt into cap and paint on with a brush, let it soak in. Don't let it get on plastic.
I then finish off with bees wax furniture polish.
Never had any problem with leaks, car 14 years old, rubbers like new.

About once a month if i remember, i use Triplewax bumper shine on all rubber to stop all the knocks and squeaks.
Been doing this 10 years now.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:00 pm

I’ll leave it for now..but probably will look at inserting a rubber tube inside the existing seal to push it up further..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

therealmc

Post by therealmc » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:28 pm

Mine’s not leaking (or not enough to worry about) but it is cracked and can’t see that any amount of product is going to fix that. It looks a bit rubbish so if anyone does attempt it one day it would be great if the process could be ‘recorded’ so that those of us who might have a go one day have something to follow.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:51 pm

A hybrid black sealant/ adhesive could work to seal any cracks. Just got to be careful not to over-do it as that could cause more problems than it cures.

I have bought this for my Z3 which has some rips in the top windscreen seal (where it attaches to the metal surround). I will take a picture when I get round to doing it if it works!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 90ml/912fr
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!