Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2014 E89 sDrive18i Engine Management Light On

Rob72

Post by Rob72 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:39 pm

The Engine Management Light has appeared on my 2014 Z4 (22K miles). The local garage could not identify a fault and cleared the light. It stayed off for the journey home but returned the following day. I took it to the BMW garage in York - they couldn't find the fault, said they had cleared it but the light immediately returned on start up. Back in the workshop the light was cleared and I drove home 25 miles with no light - following day it returned. The BMW garage have quoted for a replacement Control Unit B12.14.8.661.466 N/STK Basic.

Thanks to forums - the only check I have been able to make is to remove check and clean the petrol filler cap rubber seal. Light is still on.

I am confused as both local and BMW garages have not identifies a fault code and recommend a new control unit (which is expensive).
The car is off the road for the winter and I plan to resolve the issue at the same time as its MOT and service in Spring.

Any thoughts as to my best course of action?
Thanks, Rob

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:49 pm

You need the details of the specific fault code..

If you plan to keep the car best to get a decent bmw specific fault code reader as so many issues around these cars need a code reader for so many reasons..

It’s no guarantee of an instant fix but without the codes you’re flying blind..

It’s pretty unusual to need a new DME…

Checking the contacts to the DME for corrosion is a useful step after getting the fault codes..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:05 pm

Yep - the light is on for a reason, and that reason is recorded in the fault memory.

You absolutely will see what the car thinks is the problem (not always true, but it's a start).

Get a decent code reader, and next time it comes on check for what the car thinks the problem is.

Take it from there.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:38 pm

Rob72 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:39 pm I am confused as both local and BMW garages have not identifies a fault code and recommend a new control unit (which is expensive).
The car is off the road for the winter and I plan to resolve the issue at the same time as its MOT and service in Spring.
Don't see how the BMW dealership cannot see a fault code. The EML must log a code. And then by not seeing a fault recommend an expensive electronic component is changed.

Maybe ask nicely and someone near to you may have a decent code reader which they will use to scan your car for a small donation?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Johnbmwz4

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:36 pm

Have you tried to sign up for the BMW extended warranty with your car? With the age of your car and the low miles you may still be able to sign up for it. You cant claim for the first 4 weeks (I think) but could be a way of getting it fixed without sending the car to different garages who can’t fix it but will be charging you every time they try and diagnose the problem. If you had the warranty in place then at least any other problems will be fixed under it too
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

Rob72

Post by Rob72 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:25 pm

Thank you all for your responses which have given me useful tips. I live in Harrogate North Yorkshire and would welcome a local contact with a diagnostic tool. Am also following up on the Warranty suggestion.
Regards
Rob

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:24 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:36 pm Have you tried to sign up for the BMW extended warranty with your car? With the age of your car and the low miles you may still be able to sign up for it. You cant claim for the first 4 weeks (I think) but could be a way of getting it fixed without sending the car to different garages who can’t fix it but will be charging you every time they try and diagnose the problem. If you had the warranty in place then at least any other problems will be fixed under it too
I would expect any logged codes to have a date stamp, though. Or at least some way of showing how old the log is. Unless the OP can get rid of all traces of the fault, warranty would throw it out as an 'existing condition'. I would expect them to be pretty vigilant about that, as I would suspect many people try to take out a warranty to solve existing issues.

I had a neighbour who tried just this with an AA warranty. He had a major (expensive) problem with his X5, so signed up for a warranty to get it fixed on the cheap. He got the code reset and waited the four weeks (or whatever it was). Took it to a garage, claimed with his warranty and the AA threw the claim out, cancelled his warranty and threatened to sue him for fraud! Presumably there was still info on the ECU of when the fault was originally. :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Rob72

Post by Rob72 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:43 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:24 pm I would expect any logged codes to have a date stamp, though. Or at least some way of showing how old the log is. Unless the OP can get rid of all traces of the fault, warranty would throw it out as an 'existing condition'. I would expect them to be pretty vigilant about that, as I would suspect many people try to take out a warranty to solve existing issues.
That is also my conclusion - thank you

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:57 pm

Rob72
If you put a new thread in this section, or even 'the lounge' asking if someone local to you would be willing to scan your car for faults, you may have some luck.
Not everybody will see this thread, necessarily. I don't know of anyone in your area, but there is likely to be someone. Helpful lot on here! :thumbsup:

Out of interest, are there any unusual noises coming from the engine where the camchain is?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:52 pm

How old is the fuel?

Could be worth putting some redex through the system to give it a clear out.

There is a great example of something like this with a rangerover on youtube, where there is a restricted performance error and the dealership comes back with a hefty bill. The fix was to re-affix the bonnet soundproofing and it was all ok. It was restricting airflow and causing an issue.

It’s really easy to open the airbox on the Z4, check the filer for anything clogging it like a plastic bag and clean all the leaves out. If you havent changed the filter for a couple of years then do so.

It’s bound to be something simple.

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:09 pm

I wouldn't go making any changes, or doing any investigation until you know what the light is on for.

Could be a thousand different things that triggered the light.

But what is absolutely for certain, is that a BMW specific fault code reader will say why the light is on - I don;t beleive for a second that the dealer could 'clear the light' without being able to see what the light was on for.

It's bollocks.

Get a code reader from Amazon (not a £10 job, you will need to spend something like £70 to get one that will be BMW specific) & get the reason.

Then proceed armed with why the car has put the EML on.

Anything else is guesses.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

javis20

Post by javis20 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:37 pm

For gods sake go on amazon and order a foxwell nt530 for BMW, You will have it in a few days and it will save you a lot of money in the long run. You probably already spent twice that between the dealer and indie. Or, if you have an android phone, you could buy the bimmergeeks ProTool app and cable.

Rob72

Post by Rob72 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:39 pm

Again thank you all for your responses - the latest is that I am studying three Scantool Options with the Foxwell NT530 BMW Handheld Scantool as the favourite.

Does anyone know whether the Foxwell NT530 will tell me whether the Control Unit itself is at fault or has a fault?

The other options are MaxiECU BMW PC Diagnostic Package or the OBDeleven BMW interface and app.

Gendan Ltd have these in stock and have been informative.

PS: The fuel is no more than a couple of months old, the Pollen Filter and Oil Filters were changed (by the local garage) in April '23. The oil used was Titan GT1 Flex 23 5W30. The car is immaculate, taken off the road for the winter and is kept in a closed garage.

Regards Rob

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:48 pm

I would inspect the air filter + housing.
It’s worth doing yearly anyway as it does suck in lots of stuff.
It’s a shot in the dark for sure, but I clean it out yearly.

A code reader will help but it could point to an expensive fix caused by something quite simple, like the rangerover.

It will be a good jumping off point though.