Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Guide: Installing Mosselman Billet Oil Thermostat - E89 N54

How-To articles are in here.
Christopher72

Guide: Installing Mosselman Billet Oil Thermostat - E89 N54

Post by Christopher72 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:18 am

The Mosselman oil therm is designed to keep your oil 20°C/68F cooler than the factory, using a real thermostat not an always-on solution. It can be used in warm or cold climates and doesn't decrease the speed of the oil to reach operating temps. I picked mine up locally for $373 USD + Gasket/Rings $17. This is a relatively quick upgrade that anyone with a socket set, etorx sockets, and a 1/4" drive torque wrench can do in less than an hour.

I added this to my Zed because I liked how it looked- right? When I defend it to SWMBO, I explain that keeping the oil cooler is better for the life of the oil (as if I ever keep oil in it long enough to degrade). :roll:

This is sold at several online retailers. Some include the titanium bolts and/or gasket and rings. Some are sold separately. You want to get therm, bolts, and gasket/rings. There's no reason to avoid the spend of the pieces.

Mosselman Turbo has it's own installation instructions that are well illustrated. I don't have a reason to redo their good work. https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/uploads/ ... 210721.pdf

Wait until your engine is cold -- you don't want the oil or the coolant hot.
You should put a bunch of absorbent rags around it before removing the oil lines and 3 bolts holding the old therm in place. This protects your accessory belt and spindles from getting splashed with oil/coolant and adding risk to the belt exploring its way off the spindles and through other parts of your engine and engine bay.

In the bottom picture, you can see that I also removed the intake manifold since I took the opportunity to replace the gasket on the engine block and the intake manifold gaskets... The valve intakes need some walnut-lovin -- for another day's adventure.

The thermostat bolts should be tightened to 18Nm torque, the oil lines to 19Nm torque.
Don't forget to replace the O-rings

I didn't have to add any oil or coolant, (I checked the digital dipstick and coolant level indicator), but it would be ideal to do this with oil or coolant maintenance since the effort is minimal.

I do notice that the oil temps are cooler during everyday driving. I have not executed anything scientific compared to the factory therm, nor do I plan to. I'll leave that to guys mapping tunes and comparing oil temps. I'm not there yet.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone