Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Visits Zedshed Cymru for Lanoguard Treatment

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
colb

Post by colb » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:06 pm

Latest visitor to Zedshed Cymru today was newish owner James with his white E89 from 2010. Its only got 7k miles on the clock and has led a sheltered life all backed up by previous MOT's. It is immaculate on top and once on the lift the underside was in fantastic condition just some very small surface rust on some of the running gear. Purpose of the visit was to apply some Lanoguard to the underside as a preventative measure. Using the supplied sray gun it was easy to apply, we started at the rear and worked our way forward on each side. Everything was given a good coating and adheared to the surfaces and got into the nooks and cranny's very well. We probably spent an hour applying it, decided not to put any on the engine bay, given the amount of dust these cars suck into the engine bay we didn't want to give it a coated surface to stick to, easy enough to keep it clean with wipe overs and some polish now and then.
We did spot some past Mouse activity in the engine bay the insulation around the crankcase vent hose had been well nibbled at some time in the past. Probably replace it with one from Autodoc going forward for reasonable cost.
Plan to have another day when we will take the arch liners out and give the areas covered by them a good coating of Lanoguard.
James kindly offered to let me give my E85 a coating, I already Waxoyled mine when I aquired the car, even behind the arch liners but this Lanoguard certainly smartened up the running gear and added even more protection. We even had a quarter of the bottle left after doing mine.
Going forward we plan to have a day pulling the wing liners out and giving the areas covered by them a good coating of Lanoguard.
Attachments
IMG_20230817_122436137_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230817_122436137_HDR.jpg (126.85 KiB) Viewed 565 times
IMG_20230817_122227.jpg
IMG_20230817_122227.jpg (92.13 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:36 pm

Thinking of the Lanoguard treatment…how easy is it for a DIY if you have a moderate height hoist ?

Any observations on using it vs others / none ?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:03 pm

Thinner than Waxoyle but using their supplied spray bottle it produces an even spray very easily. It adheres to the surfaces very well and dosn't just drip off. They reccommend letting the car stand for 8 hours after the application. Its a preety fast process to apply it as long as you get the car high enough to get under it. A lift is ideal but you could get away with trolly jack and of course Axle stands for safety. Drive on ramps are also a consideration as long as you can clrear the front bumper driving it onto the ramps, may need to put some scaffold boartd down on the approach to the ramps to ensure clearance. If you remove the wheel arch liners you would get complete coverage on the panels that hide behind them. Depending on the condition of the underside you may want to pressure wash the underside then dry before putting the Lanoguard on.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:21 pm

colb wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:03 pm Thinner than Waxoyle but using their supplied spray bottle it produces an even spray very easily. It adheres to the surfaces very well and dosn't just drip off. They reccommend letting the car stand for 8 hours after the application. Its a preety fast process to apply it as long as you get the car high enough to get under it. A lift is ideal but you could get away with trolly jack and of course Axle stands for safety. Drive on ramps are also a consideration as long as you can clrear the front bumper driving it onto the ramps, may need to put some scaffold boartd down on the approach to the ramps to ensure clearance. If you remove the wheel arch liners you would get complete coverage on the panels that hide behind them. Depending on the condition of the underside you may want to pressure wash the underside then dry before putting the Lanoguard on.
Thanks for the information..I’ll give it a go this winter…. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Welsh Terrier

Post by Welsh Terrier » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:26 am

I want to thank Colin @ Z shed Cymru for letting me use his lift to Lanoguard my Z4. The previous owner obviously looked after her, apart from not buying a cat to catch the mouse who had a good nibble of some insulation around a hose in the engine bay🤣.I feel I need to give the same if not better attention to my Z going forward.
We or should I say Colin gave the underneath of the car a great coating of Lanoguard Spray and grease for the heavy duty areas. What a great product, easy to apply, no masking up required. If it is good enough for Dublin airport’s salt lorries it will do for my Z. The great thing is I can still see my Z in her birthday suit after it has been applied and can get to her nuts and bolts as god intended.
It was great to meet Colin, a real expert on Z’s, and a real nice guy to say the least. I am new to the Z scene and Colin has made me welcome and given me some great advice and pointers. 👍👍👍👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏆