Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Android Auto; Why?

Discussing the current generation Z4
PaperSniper

Android Auto; Why?

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:28 pm

Forgive me, an old man with a dumb question. I have a reasonably current Samsung smartphone and a 2020 USA spec car. I have a Sirius subscription I like for the rare times I use the radio, other than that the car is pretty much without other additions.

I do use my phone for things like https://www.life360.com/, and occasionally use it for other things like Waze, weather apps, google, etc. But I haven't taken the time to set up Android Auto, although it is installed on my phone and my car occasionally asks if I want to connect/start it.

Can I use all things on my smart phone via Android Auto? Do I need to have the phone plugged into the car with the USB cord?

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

BeeEmm

Android Auto; Why?

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:50 pm

Android Auto connects via Bluetooth (no cable needed). I use it to play music from my 'Tidal' account every time I am in the car, also, I use Google maps which is far superior to BMW's navigation system. All your phone apps will appear on the car screen. I wouldn't be without it.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

PaperSniper

Android Auto; Why?

Post by PaperSniper » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:34 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:50 pm Android Auto connects via Bluetooth (no cable needed). I use it to play music from my 'Tidal' account every time I am in the car, also, I use Google maps which is far superior to BMW's navigation system. All your phone apps will appear on the car screen. I wouldn't be without it.
Thanks, I'll take a look online to see how I connect my Android phone and check it ought. The one app I would like is Life360, but I'm sure I'll discover more once I start using it.

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

ori

Android Auto; Why?

Post by ori » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:00 pm

Not sure it will let you use life360 on the screen, but everything else is much better through android auto or apple CarPlay.

PaperSniper

Android Auto; Why?

Post by PaperSniper » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:08 pm

ori wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:00 pm Not sure it will let you use life360 on the screen, but everything else is much better through android auto or apple CarPlay.
Set it up today. Can't get Life360 to work as you mentioned. Not much else I need. I suppose I'll leave it installed "just in case". I'm one of those odd ducks who likes the BMW GPS and Sirius XM. Don't really use much else on my phone, at least not that I'd need to access in the car. Only issue I have with BMW GPS is how difficult it is to store waypoints and routes. But I have my old Garmins for that. :)
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

ori

Android Auto; Why?

Post by ori » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:48 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:08 pm
ori wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:00 pm Not sure it will let you use life360 on the screen, but everything else is much better through android auto or apple CarPlay.
Set it up today. Can't get Life360 to work as you mentioned. Not much else I need. I suppose I'll leave it installed "just in case". I'm one of those odd ducks who likes the BMW GPS and Sirius XM. Don't really use much else on my phone, at least not that I'd need to access in the car. Only issue I have with BMW GPS is how difficult it is to store waypoints and routes. But I have my old Garmins for that. :)
The bmw navigation isn’t actually that bad.

I use it for longer journeys as the head up display and lane assist is actually very good. Plus I can send the destination before I leave from my phone.