Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Offensive posts

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:27 pm

When I left the forces, having known only that from the age of 17, I discovered that the military sense of humour was just not understood by 'civvies' being based mainly on sarcasm and taking the p$ss out of others before they did so unto you.
It did cause a few misunderstandings at first! (Massive understatement! :roll: )
However, I learnt to moderate my humour, reduce the p$ss taking and generally think for a second before I fired from the hip.
Over time I got better at judging my audience and hopefully now I get away with it most of the time.

My point being that, in the main, the big hoo-haa's on this forum seem to stem from the initial commenter misjudging his audience and then, instead of being the bigger person and backing down with an apology, they react to the shirty reply and before you know it we're all at Defcon 1.
All it takes is a moment to stop, think and be humble, and hopefully now that lesson may have been learned?
Last edited by enuff_zed on Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Stevo1987

Offensive posts

Post by Stevo1987 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Tbh I don't agree with Pondy being banned. Ok he is ff'ing annoying and is a fen dweller but underneath it all... hmm...yeah...anyway. Have you sold the Missus car yet? :D :rofl: :thumbsup:
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:24 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:27 pm When I left the forces, having known only that from the age of 17, I discovered that the military sense of humour was just not understood by 'civvies' being based mainly on sarcasm and taking the p$ss out of others before they did so unto you.
It did cause a few misunderstandings at first! (Massive understatement! )
However, I learnt to moderate my humour, reduce the p$ss taking and generally think for a second before I fired from the hip.
Over time I got better at judging my audience and hopefully now I get away with it most of the time.

My point being that, in the main, the big hoo-haa's on this forum seem to stem from the initial commenter misjudging his audience and then, instead of being the bigger person and backing down with an apology, they react to the shirty reply and before you know it we're all at Defcon 1.
All it takes is a moment to stpo, think and be humble, and hopefully now that lesson may have been learned?
Similar but I spent 20 odd years working on building sites of one form or another. Two things I learned pretty quickly was not to take ANYTHING personally and not to be offended by ANYONE.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:19 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:27 pm When I left the forces, having known only that from the age of 17, I discovered that the military sense of humour was just not understood by 'civvies' being based mainly on sarcasm and taking the p$ss out of others before they did so unto you.
I can understand this - and after a close family funeral where I was amongst the group of four of the last of “our “ generation ie the oldest and most likely to pop off, my cousin who was 15/16 when he joined the RAF sixty years ago, came to tell us he was taking odds as which one of us would not be having a beer at the next funeral Do! :rofl:

My brother could not understand his black humour!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Offensive posts

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:28 am

Interesting feedback from all, I appreciate it… Here’s a little insight into my thinking…

I started this forum in 2007 and from the start I aimed to keep it as open as possible. I had been a member of several forums where the admin and mods ruled with an iron fist and a massive ban-hammer… I hated it.. it was like small man syndrome, treating grown adults like kids!

I know this may be controversial, but there seems to be a need nowadays for everywhere to be a safe space and everyone to walk on eggshells so as not to offend… personally moderating a forum on that basis is both tiresome and it sucks the life out of it.

That said, my approach has perhaps been a little too laid back and resulted in things going a bit too far.

What I want is people to be free to say what they want, joke around (within limits) and have fun while maintaining respect for each other.

We went several years without banning anyone, and I really hope that we can consider this a reboot and nobody will get banned again. I don’t want people to feel like I am over-moderating or turning this place into a creche like a lot of other forums.

Thanks again for the feedback guys!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

coldel

Offensive posts

Post by coldel » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:57 am

There is obviously a world of difference between banter of people who know each other in an army unit vs strangers talking online, the same types of conversations are going to go south very quickly in the latter.

I was an admin and mod on 350z-uk and I dont think people realise the pains you go through to sort stuff out, and you never seem to please everyone. Trying to balance libertarianism vs authoritarianism. Most of the time if those getting involved just took a breath and stood in the other persons shoes for ten seconds the argument would quickly go away and no intervention needed. Is all the advice I would give.

Just for fun...

Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:06 am

sp3ctre wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:28 am That said, my approach has perhaps been a little too laid back and resulted in things going a bit too far.
Nah. Works well as it is IMHO. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:32 pm

I've only been a member on here for a little while and to me it seems a friendly place with nice people helping other nice people with good advice and cheap parts. I mostly enjoy the banter and don't generally find it offensive although my sense of humour is quite dark sometimes. Only once have I asked someone to stop being awful and that was because he was becoming very offensive towards a female forum member about her car which then got out of hand. That really did become very vile and not suitable and completely out of place on here. As I have said before this is my happy place and may it stay this way. Thank you sp3ctre for all you do to provide such a decent forum for us all. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

ori

Offensive posts

Post by ori » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:30 pm

So I was one of the people banned. I don’t disagree with my ban as I reacted to someone who has been a constant thorn with abusive posts including racist, homophonic and antisemitic posts. I shouldn’t have reacted and I apologise for that. I don’t agree that the main culprit got the same ban as the 2 of us who responded.

Just in my defence. I had messaged the moderator over a year ago about this person and the reply I got “I’m staying out of it”.
Said instigator has had fallouts with many users and has always been abusive and disgusting.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 pm

ori wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:30 pm So I was one of the people banned. I don’t disagree with my ban as I reacted to someone who has been a constant thorn with abusive posts including racist, homophonic and antisemitic posts. I shouldn’t have reacted and I apologise for that. I don’t agree that the main culprit got the same ban as the 2 of us who responded.

Just in my defence. I had messaged the moderator over a year ago about this person and the reply I got “I’m staying out of it”.
Said instigator has had fallouts with many users and has always been abusive and disgusting.
Lesson learned? Don’t bite. Set him as a Foe and disregard anything that slips through.
But can we all accept you’ve made your point and please don’t use this thread to perpetuate it.
Life is too short.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

smorris_12

Offensive posts

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:48 pm

I've been using the internet for nigh on 30 years and long ago came to the conclusion that it's just not worth getting involved. Throw an idle spear if you're bored but otherwise shrug and get on with someone more important.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

IRD

Offensive posts

Post by IRD » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:49 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:28 am Interesting feedback from all, I appreciate it… Here’s a little insight into my thinking…

I started this forum in 2007 and from the start I aimed to keep it as open as possible. I had been a member of several forums where the admin and mods ruled with an iron fist and a massive ban-hammer… I hated it.. it was like small man syndrome, treating grown adults like kids!

I know this may be controversial, but there seems to be a need nowadays for everywhere to be a safe space and everyone to walk on eggshells so as not to offend… personally moderating a forum on that basis is both tiresome and it sucks the life out of it.

That said, my approach has perhaps been a little too laid back and resulted in things going a bit too far.

What I want is people to be free to say what they want, joke around (within limits) and have fun while maintaining respect for each other.

We went several years without banning anyone, and I really hope that we can consider this a reboot and nobody will get banned again. I don’t want people to feel like I am over-moderating or turning this place into a creche like a lot of other forums.

Thanks again for the feedback guys!
I think you are doing a really good job. Only my wife is perfect ( or so she keeps telling me). But I think you manage to achieve a pretty good balance.:thumbsup:

ori

Offensive posts

Post by ori » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 pm
ori wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:30 pm So I was one of the people banned. I don’t disagree with my ban as I reacted to someone who has been a constant thorn with abusive posts including racist, homophonic and antisemitic posts. I shouldn’t have reacted and I apologise for that. I don’t agree that the main culprit got the same ban as the 2 of us who responded.

Lesson learned? Don’t bite. Set him as a Foe and disregard anything that slips through.
But can we all accept you’ve made your point and please don’t use this thread to perpetuate it.
Life is too short.
See, I kinda agree with you, but I can only speak about the antisemitism as that is a personal thing. For years, the mantra of the Jewish people was if we ignore it then it will go away. Don’t fight it. How did that work out for us?
So now I have the view that I call it out and fight it out when I see it. Turns out that people don’t like it when we fight back.

If said person continues with his vile posts, I will point it out to a mod and if said mod says I’m not getting involved again the. I will.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by sars » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:36 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 pm Set him as a Foe and disregard anything that slips through.
Life is too short.
and that's what I did, my first Foe, sage advice :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:33 pm

sars wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:36 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 pm Set him as a Foe and disregard anything that slips through.
Life is too short.
and that's what I did, my first Foe, sage advice :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image