Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Disable handbrake without starting the car

Discussing the current generation Z4
mrwkuk

Post by mrwkuk » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:53 pm

As per topic is there a way to disable the handbrake without starting the car?

I quite often push cars around our driveway without starting the engine to save hassle, noise, wear, and fuel.

But with an electronic brake, you cant seem to disable it without starting the engine.

I guess the same issue applies if you HAVE to disable it if the battery is flat and you need to tow it too.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:17 pm

Dont apply it when you park the car up, however, you will probably have to leave the car in neutral if thats possible if you need to push it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:53 pm

Even if you would be able to switch off parking brake, you still can't change gear to N without starting the car.

mrwkuk

Post by mrwkuk » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:37 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:17 pm Dont apply it when you park the car up, however, you will probably have to leave the car in neutral if thats possible if you need to push it.
I dont need to move the car regularly (but often enough that its a convenience that I would like to keep compared to cars with a manual hand brake), maybe 2-3 times a month, so I dont really want to be leaving it like that every day. It would just be nice if there was a way to unlock and disable the brake without having to get in, press the foot brake, start the car, release the parking brake, and change into neutral.

Maybe I am being unrealistic given its an auto. All my previous cars have been manual (or semi-auto for the Smart Roadster) so didnt have this issue.

ori

Post by ori » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:44 pm

Completely unrealistic with an auto. Only way to force it into neutral with no power is to get under the car and access the gearbox directly. Usually some form of shift override there.

Easier to start the car and shift to neutral and release parking brake.

mrwkuk

Post by mrwkuk » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:08 pm

Fair enough.,