Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

"Dynamic Damping Control failure"

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am

15 seconds after the car goes into Sport+, the warning 'Dynamic Damping Control failure' appears. The adaptive suspension then stays in Sport+ until the engine is switched off. (On re-starting the engine, the suspension has returned to 'Normal' and the display shows 'No faults'.)

Help, please.
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:45 am

Busterboo wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am 15 seconds after the car goes into Sport+, the warning 'Dynamic Damping Control failure' appears. The adaptive suspension then stays in Sport+ until the engine is switched off. (On re-starting the engine, the suspension has returned to 'Normal' and the display shows 'No faults'.)

Help, please.
I wouldn’t like to say wether that’s the dampers at fault or the module that controls them, needs scanning :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:01 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:45 am I wouldn’t like to say wether that’s the dampers at fault or the module that controls them, needs scanning :thumbsup:
Rob
Thank you, Rob. BMW thought the same and replaced the 'Electronic Damping Unit' (@ £600+ on insured warranty), but to no effect.
Vidi, vici, veni

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:01 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:45 am I wouldn’t like to say wether that’s the dampers at fault or the module that controls them, needs scanning :thumbsup:
Rob
Thank you, Rob. BMW thought the same and replaced the 'Electronic Damping Unit' (@ £600+ on insured warranty), but to no effect.
Maybe the sport rocker switch itself..? :?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:32 pm

Now there's a thought, John. Thank you.

Did your 35iS ever show a Dynamic Damping Control warning?
Vidi, vici, veni

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:39 am

Does the E89 have as stability module that provides input to the damper control? Just a thought.
Another good reason to ditch the adaptive dampers for performance kit maybe......
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:47 am

mcbutler wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:39 am Does the E89 have as stability module that provides input to the damper control? Just a thought.
Another good reason to ditch the adaptive dampers for performance kit maybe......
In answer to your question, I don't know. BMW replaced the Electronic Damping Control unit, but this wasn't the solution. They then, as my indy predicted, replaced the rear dampers, which was. This means that the car has now had new dampers front and rear, the front having been replaced in 2019.

Oddities that emerged were (1) BMW were very quick to want to replace the front dampers, even though they had only "a very slight leak" and (2) the fronts are significantly more expensive than the rears.

As for your suggestion about swapping the adaptive damping system for a performance kit, again I don't know, in this case because I haven't driven a 35iS with one. The BMW system works very well, not least because it changes the steering, too. And, as long as you have BMW Insured Warranty and don't mind losing the car for a day or two now and then, is worth having. (The Insured Warranty covers other E89 weaknesses, too, of course.)

I like the car a lot and, thanks to the help of members on the Forum, a good indy, the Insured Warranty and my local AD (who's improved a lot recently), I hope to keep it. It's done 72.5k miles, 52k under my right foot, and I'd like to run it until at least 100K. Fingers crossed. :driving:
Vidi, vici, veni

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:00 pm

Maybe the tyre pressures are putting too much shock load through the dampers.
You could try lowering them a bit?

:poke: :D

(PS. I like to be predictable :wink: )
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:07 am

:)

In all seriousness, though, I'm lucky to live near a network of good county roads, on which BMW's recommended tyre pressures work very well.

That said, it's not all down to pressures (36 front, 44 rear), is it? Even now, I remember with horror the runflat Bridgestones the car came on.
Vidi, vici, veni