Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front brake disc replacement type

Pecky1964

Post by Pecky1964 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi everyone, I have my Zed in my garage for the winter, it’s an 09 sDrive30i, and I am just doing some maintenance on it and the front brake discs are very rusty on the inside both sides and I am thinking they need to be replaced.
The ones on there currently are 330mm two piece. The centre is aluminium with a steel disc riveted to it. I am guessing they are the originals as car is at 43k miles.
I really have no idea whether to replace with brand name one piece or if there is a good reason that BMW fit the two piece as standard. Thoughts please.
I am also thinking of fitting EBC red Ceramic pads as the brake dust on the wheels does my head in!!!!
Does anybody else use these? If so good or bad?
Many thanks in advance..........

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:45 pm

I have used both types on the e89s I have owned and never noticed any difference
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:07 pm

You could always get them re skimmed if you have a local engineering works
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Pecky1964

Post by Pecky1964 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 pm

I have left them with a local engineer....... they are approx 23.2mm at the thinnest point and I believe the min is 22mm.
I am waiting to hear if he thinks skimming will be okay.........

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:34 am

Redstuff pads are excellent, the high ceramic content results in almost zero dust and any dust produced is white anyway! The dust from metal based pads is darker and obviously contains metal particles, these particles can be hot and burn into the lacquer, this is what gives you the staining that you cannot remove after prolonged use...
As for disc skimming its an old school solution and rarely cost effective, you can but a pair of standard spare discs very reasonably
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather