Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 screen won't open/close

widomenhardt

Post by widomenhardt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:57 pm

The screen won't open or close anymore. When I close it from the menu, it turns off and on, but no motor action.

Is there a fuse? Does it need a new motor? If so, how to access it?

Wido
2014 Z4 and love it

Maybach_man

Post by Maybach_man » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Im having this issue intermittantly as well...fortunately i notified within warrenty..they have had one go at sorting it but going back in .

Overweight Unicorn

Post by Overweight Unicorn » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:34 pm

You could try adding it to the 1-8 buttons to see if that helps. Also try and add a bit of downward pressure to it at the same time as activating the close.
E89 23i M Sport Highline
Alpine white
Red Coral
19" 326M

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Perhaps it might be worth putting on a scanner and see if some fault code pops up?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

NewEnglandGuy

Post by NewEnglandGuy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:24 pm

I've found that my screen works perfectly until the weather turns warm. Somewhere above 80°F, when I try to close the screen, it will sometimes go blank and refuse to close. No noise and no movement. The next morning I'll either find it closed, or it will close when I tell it to.

Perhaps some type of thermal protection is going on. Each time I planned to bring it for service, the problem went away for a while. Finally, I just got used to it.

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

This happened to me this morning! Bear in mind I've only had the car week... :cry:
The screen opened by about 20 degrees and then stopped. Image appeared fine and after (very gently) rolling it all the way open all functions were fine. There were no notches or grinding, it just looked (and felt) like the electric motor simply stopped. Didn't close when I turned the car off.

At lunchtime when I went back to the car it had closed on its own (?)

Put the key in and opened fine... took the key out and closed again...
So now I'm a: worried and b: wondering if this is a z4 'thing' I will have to learn to live with?

I've had a dig around and can't find any solutions.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm

In 7 years ownership this happened once to my car. The reason why i never found out.
I pressed the program button to close and it went half down and stopped, screen blank.
Then wouldn't go up or down. Next day all normal.
But the lift motor gears are exposed to the right of the unit, did make me wonder if a bit of fluff did something.
I spray them occasionally to stop them rattling. They seem to have plenty of slack, backlash in the gears.

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:32 am

flybobbie wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm In 7 years ownership this happened once to my car. The reason why i never found out.
I pressed the program button to close and it went half down and stopped, screen blank.
Then wouldn't go up or down. Next day all normal.
But the lift motor gears are exposed to the right of the unit, did make me wonder if a bit of fluff did something.
I spray them occasionally to stop them rattling. They seem to have plenty of slack, backlash in the gears.
It's now happening 50% of the time. Usually in the morning when the car is cold.
I can't find any discussion about it so I'm thinking it's actually not very common?

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:33 pm

End of year update.

All summer long the screen has worked fine. Now that it's cold again it has gone back to the not popping up feature I grew to loath back in January... I can only assume that something shrinks a little bit when cold and the screen is 'sticking'.
Guess I'm going to have to call it a quirk and live with it. :-|