Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Am I Going Crazy?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
coupedan

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by coupedan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:29 pm

So almost 5 years, 85,000 miles - I think it may be time to part with my Zed.
I have a strange feeling of not loving the experience anymore which I never thought would come but I am at a loss of to what to..

My car, a 2006 (56) Coupe Si with 126,000 miles on the clock is pretty much worthless as far as Coupes go (probably get about £6K for it)
Although I have replaced pretty much everything on it that it seen as "Common issues" and "sort after" upgrades.

Now, I have had an eye on an Abarth 595 Competizone over the last few days and I am going to drive one next Thursday.
Completely left field choice to be honest as it couldn't be anymore different from the Zed.
I don't really know what to expect from it, never owned an Italian car and never owned a "warm / Hot mini hatch" but it comes with the following specs:
180HP - (0-60MPH = 6.7s)
1050KG's (ish)
4 Pot Brembo front Calipers with 305mm discs
Switchable Koni suspension all round
Switchable Exhaust
Optional mechanical LSD

If I trade in my Zed I can pick up a fairly newish one on PCP for about £90 per month which seems like a no brainier seeing that it should come with 3 years manufacturers warranty.

I shall await the test drive but until then, has anyone else ever felt like the love for their Zed has been lost?

synthedup

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by synthedup » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm

I think this is a mistake, I have driven a 595 and the gearbox is awful. Its a different type of car though, a step back imo.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by Marlon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Seems a strange direction to go, but hey its your call - hope you get back that driving buzz
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi, how about a z4 convertible? It would add another dimension to the zed experience & keep you in the fold :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by buzyg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Having owned a Fiat sports car for almost 10 years, prior to my Zed, I can say two things.

It will be great fun. :D :thumbsup: :driving:

It will break and frustrate the heck out of you. :oops: :headbang:

coupedan

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by coupedan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:09 pm

I know it seems like a strange angle to take but I have heard they are quite fun little cars.

I'm not really too sure on what else to get.. I wouldn't want to go down the Boxster / Cayman route and //M's are way out of my price range now in terms of price and running costs.

Anyone have suggestions?

Buckz

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by Buckz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm

I know what you mean, I only had mine for a year and i do love it but for the kind of driving I do it doesn't seem to work well.. I seem to enjoy blasting in my 23yo mazda mx5 with 130bhp much more and have a lot more fun too :evil: I can see how the 595 is tempting, I'd love to take one for a spin too!

but my money would probably got a mk4/nd mx5 the 1.5 or 2.0 to just trash it around, have fun with a smile on your face.

Paulr

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by Paulr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Depends what you want. the new Fiat 124 looks great and has some good wright-ups. 2 series coupe can be a great car as well. the sporty Audi A3 is a cracker, as is the TT.

Think you will find the Abarth a right laugh, but too harsh to use regularly, and pretty small inside. Assuming bits don't keep falling off it it should be fun for a short time!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

LordOxygen

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by LordOxygen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm I know what you mean, I only had mine for a year and i do love it but for the kind of driving I do it doesn't seem to work well.. I seem to enjoy blasting in my 23yo mazda mx5 with 130bhp much more and have a lot more fun too :evil: I can see how the 595 is tempting, I'd love to take one for a spin too!

but my money would probably got a mk4/nd mx5 the 1.5 or 2.0 to just trash it around, have fun with a smile on your face.
Id swap mine for an MX5 without much hesitation IF i could physically fit inside one and simultaneously operate the pedals. Being tall has its disadvantages.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Fiat are s**t. /thread.

Seriously though they are hateful cars, adults cannot sit in the back without their heads hitting the rear window (I'm 5 10). They have a pretty raspy zorst but you can hear the scrawny little engine over them..mpg is sub 30. If an RR hits you, you'll die or be maimed pretty heavily. Boot space is less than the Z4.
Personally for the money I'd by a Z4m or an Alpina rather than dump the car and splash 12k to hire a fiat for a couple of years. Horses for courses though.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

markalp

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by markalp » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 pm

coupedan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:29 pm So almost 5 years, 85,000 miles - I think it may be time to part with my Zed.
I have a strange feeling of not loving the experience anymore which I never thought would come but I am at a loss of to what to..

My car, a 2006 (56) Coupe Si with 126,000 miles on the clock is pretty much worthless as far as Coupes go (probably get about £6K for it)
Although I have replaced pretty much everything on it that it seen as "Common issues" and "sort after" upgrades.

Now, I have had an eye on an Abarth 595 Competizone over the last few days and I am going to drive one next Thursday.
Completely left field choice to be honest as it couldn't be anymore different from the Zed.
I don't really know what to expect from it, never owned an Italian car and never owned a "warm / Hot mini hatch" but it comes with the following specs:
180HP - (0-60MPH = 6.7s)
1050KG's (ish)
4 Pot Brembo front Calipers with 305mm discs
Switchable Koni suspension all round
Switchable Exhaust
Optional mechanical LSD

If I trade in my Zed I can pick up a fairly newish one on PCP for about £90 per month which seems like a no brainier seeing that it should come with 3 years manufacturers warranty.

I shall await the test drive but until then, has anyone else ever felt like the love for their Zed has been lost?
You are going to hate it, noisy cabin, loutish, and brash, with the miles you cover I would go down the SLK path, hard top vert and quality build, so quiet cabin but performance when you want it.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

philbo909

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by philbo909 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm

I think you are going crazy op, if you're bored of the Z then why not. But why not a 370Z or something else in the coupe's league looks and performance wise?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

coupedan

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by coupedan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm I know what you mean, I only had mine for a year and i do love it but for the kind of driving I do it doesn't seem to work well.. I seem to enjoy blasting in my 23yo mazda mx5 with 130bhp much more and have a lot more fun too :evil: I can see how the 595 is tempting, I'd love to take one for a spin too!

That's it.. I have been driving my other halves SEAT Ibiza FR 1.2TSI for the last 2 weeks and I seemed to have more fun driving that than I have when I have just got back in the Zed - OK it felt like wearing your favourite shoes being back, but I feel like these shoes now need changing..

I think there is a lot said for a car that you can be on the limits of at slow speeds.. something enjoyable in that.
Paulr wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:40 pm Depends what you want. the new Fiat 124 looks great and has some good wright-ups. 2 series coupe can be a great car as well. the sporty Audi A3 is a cracker, as is the TT.

Think you will find the Abarth a right laugh, but too harsh to use regularly, and pretty small inside. Assuming bits don't keep falling off it it should be fun for a short time!
2 Series is out of budget, I'm personally not that much of a fan.. would rather an M135i for performance / sound, however I hate the interiors of them.
My friend had an A3 / S3 type thing.. was fast on a straight, lacked any feel in steering and had tendencies to understeer horrifically.
TT's are nice, but you pay a premium for a not that great of a car IMO, typically VAG and far too common.
Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm Fiat are s**t. /thread.

Seriously though they are hateful cars, adults cannot sit in the back without their heads hitting the rear window (I'm 5 10). They have a pretty raspy zorst but you can hear the scrawny little engine over them..mpg is sub 30. If an RR hits you, you'll die or be maimed pretty heavily. Boot space is less than the Z4.
Personally for the money I'd by a Z4m or an Alpina rather than dump the car and splash 12k to hire a fiat for a couple of years. Horses for courses though.
You raise a good point.. I used to detest them, but the Abarth versions have always caught my eye, they are a pretty niche thing too (ok to the standard passer-by, it still is a Fiat 500) but for those who know, it's a special little thing (At least the Competizone is)

As said above, I'd love an //M Coupe, but way too over budget.. I'm looking at similar price points or cheaper due to needing to get a house next year.
markalp wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 pm You are going to hate it, noisy cabin, loutish, and brash, with the miles you cover I would go down the SLK path, hard top vert and quality build, so quiet cabin but performance when you want it.
To be honest - mileage for me is changing.. I will be getting a train to work in the new year so the car will rarely be used Monday - Friday.
The only SLK I'd entertain is the 45AMG (or is it the 55AMG?)
philbo909 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm I think you are going crazy op, if you're bored of the Z then why not. But why not a 370Z or something else in the coupe's league looks and performance wise?
A 370z seems a good choice - rare, sounds nice, looks OK IMO (looks too chubby still, but better than the 350z) but I have a bit of a sour taste with Nissan.. I know a few people with horror stories with regard to them which has kind of put me off.

I think I have the solution to my problems.. work harder or win the lottery and bag me a nice 991.2 GT2RS :? :driving:

srhutch

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by srhutch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:46 pm

PVR is on his second Abarth. If you are serious it’s worth dropping him a pm.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Fair points. It does all depend in budget. If you want a hot hatch the one to go for imo is the Clio. But not sure on their prices as of late. It was huge money new. You can get the same Fiesta as me for that price you've put up. I'm on 70k now and out 40k of that on in 2 years. Never been in for any warranty work and faults are very rare on them. Tuning market is huge too and the engine are good for 300bhp. S1 is pretty mean to roll about in too but they are as small as a 500 and problematic. If you want a good "coupe" that's near invincible and depreciation proof a single turbo R33 isn't a bad shout.
But I'd still say stick with the Z.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.