Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M vs M2

"M" Specific discussion
dannytheduck1985

Z4M vs M2

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Comparing the Z4M to the M2 is like comparing a Milf to a hot teen. They are both jaw dropping but in there own ways.

I tend to think out the box with cars and I've gone for something different, 1 of 63 RHD Alpina B9s.
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24
90’ Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000 24V manual
85’ Opel Ascona Cabriolet

Str6mik

Z4M vs M2

Post by Str6mik » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 am

Franzino wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:49 pm
NavZ wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 pm My Z4M is my daily & has been for 3 years now.
I love it (no spinal injuries yet :poke: )
M2 (w/out MPE) sounds like an average car, not what an M should sound like.
The intake doesn't excite either. I see it as an M235i+ rather than an M2.
The M2 CS has its work cut out for it.
Personally I think the M2 with "standard" exhaust sounds rather good for a turbocharged car and more then loud enough...definitely not as an average car. I have zero needs for a MPE on my M2.

Short exhaust clip wit outside mic: https://youtu.be/OMgEac39XSs

To be fair that sounds amazing!!! It's a shame it doesn't sound like that INSIDE

The point about daily versus weekend is a totally valid one, and I was looking to replace the m which is a weekend car. I think the sad thing for me is if he m2 isn't capable of fulfilling the "weekend" role what new car from bmw can? There is literally nothing

I've decided to keep the z4 as my weekend and am now replacing my daily. Not with an m2 but with a new type r which to me felt far more exciting and special

Franzino

Z4M vs M2

Post by Franzino » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 am

Str6mik wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 am To be fair that sounds amazing!!! It's a shame it doesn't sound like that INSIDE

The point about daily versus weekend is a totally valid one, and I was looking to replace the m which is a weekend car. I think the sad thing for me is if he m2 isn't capable of fulfilling the "weekend" role what new car from bmw can? There is literally nothing

I've decided to keep the z4 as my weekend and am now replacing my daily. Not with an m2 but with a new type r which to me felt far more exciting and special
I don't want my daily car to sound this loud in the inside...so I deleted the fake ASD and the sound (in and out) is perfect for me. Z4M is indeed the better weekend car....type R is a personal choice and drives probably great, but a car that is totally not my style or taste (personal opinion).

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M vs M2

Post by flimper » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 pm

3 exhausts? Just looks wrong
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Angelus666

Z4M vs M2

Post by Angelus666 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

You've picked a kind angle there...from the front it's truly horrible.

Top pup

Z4M vs M2

Post by Top pup » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:59 pm

I have both, M2 as a daily and Z4mc as a toy. They're both fantastic cars in different ways, one big difference is that the Z4 feels special as soon as you start that s54 up the M2 only shines when you drive it HARD.

Top pup

Z4M vs M2

Post by Top pup » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Str6mik wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:36 pm I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a car than the M2. I've owned E46 M3, E92 M3, 120d and now the Z4m.

No offence to anyone that has one, but it just doesn't feel like an M car. It just feels like a 1 series with a parts bin twin turbo petrol engine. I thought the steering feel for an M car was truly horrendous. The noise - always synonymous for an M car is totally missing (admittedly that could be addressed with an MPE).

I was so excited about the test drive, but it has given me a massive new appreciation for the Z4m. I had always regarded the contrite 'last of the 6 cylinders' 'last M with a hydraulic rack' with a bit of sceptism given how much I loved my M3 V8 which was new compared to the Z4, but based on the latest releases from Bmw I'm left totally cold.

When you inevitably then look at the financials and stick with a car that's basically not depreciating, slightly appreciating versus putting £10k down and paying £400 a month for 3 years for the M2, you really have to love the M2 to make the switch

Total no brainer in my position
Interestingly I test drove the M2 and M4 back to back (had the M2 for 36h and the M4 for 24h) so really got a feel for them, the M2 comes alive driven hard on a twisty road, the chassis is so confidence inspiring that the lack of steering feel isn't an issue, but I will agree there is virtually no steering feel and have to say that while performing well the engine is pretty ordinary in character.

The M4 however truly was disappointing, After driving it home and having a blast in it I left it parked up until taking it back as I had no interest in driving it.

Franzino

Z4M vs M2

Post by Franzino » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Top pup wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:14 pm Interestingly I test drove the M2 and M4 back to back (had the M2 for 36h and the M4 for 24h) so really got a feel for them, the M2 comes alive driven hard on a twisty road, the chassis is so confidence inspiring that the lack of steering feel isn't an issue, but I will agree there is virtually no steering feel and have to say that while performing well the engine is pretty ordinary in character.

The M4 however truly was disappointing, After driving it home and having a blast in it I left it parked up until taking it back as I had no interest in driving it.
My thoughts exactly! The torque of the turbo charged M2 engine is nice in daily traffic....but the engine itself is nothing special or unique in character (nothing like the old school S54 Z4M engine). The M4 was also really disappointing for me...did not like the engine character, the power delivery, the steering feel (worse then M2), the handling, the sound and the big size.

For me the best of both worlds in usability and specialness is my current BMW-M garage; my daily M2 and the sun & fun Z4M roadster... Like I said; if I could only have one car to use everyday (and also for fun and track) then the M2 is the one I would need to take. In an ideal world....my dream garage would be a M2 as daily, a GT4 (or 997 GT3) for track and a Z4M R for sunny days....but hey I'm not complaining :oops:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M vs M2

Post by mmm-five » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 pm

If someone wants to swap (i.e. no cash either way) their M2 for my Z4MC, then please PM me :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Franzino

Z4M vs M2

Post by Franzino » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm You've picked a kind angle there...from the front it's truly horrible.
If you can get past the looks (in and out) and like FWD then it seem like a really nice and fun car. But like I said; I could not live with the looks inside and out...so ugly and so boy racer.

http://www.evo.co.uk/honda/civic-type-r ... -old-model

The price difference with my M2 in my country is 18.000GBP and of course lower insurance and running costs...

Top pup

Z4M vs M2

Post by Top pup » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Franzino wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 pm
The M4 was also really disappointing for me...did not like the engine character, the power delivery, the steering feel (worse then M2), the handling, the sound and the big size.
You've described thoughts on the M4 perfectly, from a driving point of view the only thing that was better was the extra power and even that wasn't delivered as nicely. The extra toys and bling bits and sightly better interior really add nothing to the drive.

NavZ

Z4M vs M2

Post by NavZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I think the M2 looks great and the size is perfect (modern cars are huge).
My next performance car will probably be an M2 CS (in a few years... will keep the Z4M though) but the current M2 doesn't excite me.
I'm a fan of a high revving N/A's scream and it's sad that most modern cars have completely abandoned N/A.
The S54 is irreplaceable :cry:
2009 Z4M Coupe (TiAg) 80k KM

bodmin

Z4M vs M2

Post by bodmin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 pm

I've owned an M2 and thought it was phenomenally good.

That's after owning a Z4MC, 2 x E46 M3's, 2 x E92 M3's, and 2 x 1M's.

TomK

Z4M vs M2

Post by TomK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 pm

I had a good time with an M2 on monday at Castle Combe. My car was faster in a straight line (his was a dsg and he was two up as opposed to me on my own) particularly noticeable 80mph+, killed it on the brakes, but then mine are not standard. We had a good chat afterwards, both he and I were surprised at the relative performance. I have no doubt that on the road the M2 would be faster due to the torque, but on a track where you can use all of the revs the S54 still does a good job.
Would I switch to one, unless I needed '4' seats, no way.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

NavZ

Z4M vs M2

Post by NavZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 pm

TomK wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 pm I had a good time with an M2 on monday at Castle Combe. My car was faster in a straight line (his was a dsg and he was two up as opposed to me on my own) particularly noticeable 80mph+, killed it on the brakes, but then mine are not standard. We had a good chat afterwards, both he and I were surprised at the relative performance. I have no doubt that on the road the M2 would be faster due to the torque, but on a track where you can use all of the revs the S54 still does a good job.
Would I switch to one, unless I needed '4' seats, no way.
Based on your mods, you have quite the track toy/beast :thumbsup:
2009 Z4M Coupe (TiAg) 80k KM