Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Photobucket blocking 3rd party hosting of images

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Denis O

Post by Denis O » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:17 am

That seems fine then.........and I pay nothing
06 Full Fat Range Rover 4.2 S/c

05 Merc SL350

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 am

this is bullshit! so many threads on here now are useless like DIY guides etc - poor show PB!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

jamie_z4 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 am this is bullshit! so many threads on here now are useless like DIY guides etc - poor show PB!
That's what really angers me!

They have single handedly killed 1000s of guides and tutorials right across the internets overnight.

Then offer to reinstate for the frankly extortionate $400 per user per year

Bastards
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 am

One thing I will add as the owner & admin of a forum similar this one, is that photo sharing sites really are not good for a variety of reasons. The first as highlighted by this very thread is with 'free' services you are very much at their whim of them changing their terms and conditions.

Secondly, when you visit a thread and find broken images because that persons account bandwidth has been exceeded; they have rage quit the internet and deleted their photo account or specific images; had a tidy up and got rid of pics they forgot they've linked to. This impacts greatly on the reputation of any site as a great resource in it's field. People will have found this site from a Google search, only to find half the answer they were looking for, and head to the next link in the results (it also increases the sites 'bounce rate' which is bad for Google ranking).

You then have to deal with the fact it impacts the page load time negatively as the site has to load them in externally from a usually under spec'd overloaded server (but hey it's a free service - what did you expect...). So threads with lots of images take longer to load.

Although it will take you a little longer to upload the images to any forum, do everyone a favour and give it a go rather than dumping them on a photo share service.

Maybe also consider dropping a few quid in to the forum coffers as a donation to help towards the increased storage costs. It will help reduce frustration of images disappearing, which is just about to get worse with lots of people now jumping to another "free" service.
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:29 am

Gazhyde wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 am One thing I will add as the owner & admin of a forum similar this one, is that photo sharing sites really are not good for a variety of reasons. The first as highlighted by this very thread is with 'free' services you are very much at their whim of them changing their terms and conditions.

Secondly, when you visit a thread and find broken images because that persons account bandwidth has been exceeded; they have rage quit the internet and deleted their photo account or specific images; had a tidy up and got rid of pics they forgot they've linked to. This impacts greatly on the reputation of any site as a great resource in it's field. People will have found this site from a Google search, only to find half the answer they were looking for, and head to the next link in the results (it also increases the sites 'bounce rate' which is bad for Google ranking).

You then have to deal with the fact it impacts the page load time negatively as the site has to load them in externally from a usually under spec'd overloaded server (but hey it's a free service - what did you expect...). So threads with lots of images take longer to load.

Although it will take you a little longer to upload the images to any forum, do everyone a favour and give it a go rather than dumping them on a photo share service.

Maybe also consider dropping a few quid in to the forum coffers as a donation to help towards the increased storage costs. It will help reduce frustration of images disappearing, which is just about to get worse with lots of people now jumping to another "free" service.
Problem I have (at least here) is most of the images I upload get flipped on their side when they insert into a post. I have checked the actual image upload and its fine but then as soon as it goes in a post its flipped

Example this image uploaded perfectly

download/file.php?id=9063

But then when the forum inserted it into my post it flipped it!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92395

I did post a thread about this but got no useful response
Last edited by 85genius on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am

Also just to note the T&C's (http://upload.Blocked.com/page/tos) link doesn't work, so you are signing up to a service without knowing what you are signing up to. Granted no one ever reads those anyway, but it's your data ;)
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am

Gazhyde wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am Also just to note the T&C's (http://upload.Blocked.com/page/tos) link doesn't work, so you are signing up to a service without knowing what you are signing up to. Granted no one ever reads those anyway, but it's your data ;)
Updated them for you ;) was on my list for a while.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am

Buckz wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am
Gazhyde wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am Also just to note the T&C's (http://upload.Blocked.com/page/tos) link doesn't work, so you are signing up to a service without knowing what you are signing up to. Granted no one ever reads those anyway, but it's your data ;)
Updated them for you ;) was on my list for a while.
Nice and simple too!

Mike

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 am

If you remember though, until recently it wasn't possible to post photos directly onto the forum. Not a criticism of course. The other thing that becomes difficult posting photos directly is how to guides, or posts about road trips (for example), because the photos have to be interspersed with the text to make sense. I used to create the post in Word, with the PB links in the right place, then just copy / paste.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:22 am

Buckz wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 amUpdated them for you ;) was on my list for a while.
Not wanting to start a discussion as they are your service T&Cs to do with as you will, but I would seriously consider getting advice on what you include/don't include. Simple as they are, they don't cover you or the person signing up - some of the terms you use are incorrect (no such thing as child ****, it's abuse).

I do commend you for offering a free service for the benefit of others, I'm just one of those annoying nit picking Information Security guys :wink:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 am

Gazhyde wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:22 am
Buckz wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 amUpdated them for you ;) was on my list for a while.
Not wanting to start a discussion as they are your service T&Cs to do with as you will, but I would seriously consider getting advice on what you include/don't include. Simple as they are, they don't cover you or the person signing up - some of the terms you use are incorrect (no such thing as child ****, it's abuse).

I do commend you for offering a free service for the benefit of others, I'm just one of those annoying nit picking Information Security guys :wink:
You very much are nit picking now ;) I work in IT too and I'm very aware of IT security. My opinion is that any t&c can be twisted. As long as I am stating that it not allowed(and use what ever term I want to express it) I am from my pov protecting my self. I could go all out and complicate the terms and conditions but is there any point? As long as things that are criminal don't end up on said host I am fine. It will get revised and updated a little but the idea is to keep it simple and provide service to my website members and members here on Z4 forums. I'm not aiming to steal the crowd from photobucket or make money out of it.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 am

Now signed up to Blocked, much faster. How do you copy photos across to the forum though??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:46 am

firebobby wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 am Now signed up to Blocked, much faster. How do you copy photos across to the forum though??
Once you upload the image, it'll load it up in the page after that click on

About ->
Embed codes ->
Bbcode - copy content from that and paste here in forum, no need to use the IMG button to do it as it'll have the required code already.

That's it. Or go to your profile on page and open the image and then go through the same steps.

You can also select multiple from your profile page and get embed codes for all in one go.

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:26 pm

85genius wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:29 amProblem I have (at least here) is most of the images I upload get flipped on their side when they insert into a post.
No idea on this particular forum system I'm afraid, but there should be a fix for it. Had the same problem on the different forum software I run, but it was soon patched by their developers.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 pm

I always useD photo bucket as it was the only way I knew. They must be crazy wanting that much money. Will anyone in the world pay that for a $hite website? I haven't ever used it without swearing at the screen.

Just can't understand what market they are now aiming for.

Mines still working for now. But they can shove it up their ar$e if it stops
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S